Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter and Pump Size

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter and Pump Size

I've had a DE filter for 13 years and have just grown tired of the continued maintenance and it appears to be on it's last legs. After reading thru some of the topics it looks like I will switch to a sand filter and add DE. Success with Zeobrite seems to be determined by the quality of the Zeobrite you purchase. So my question is - 15k gallon pool - what would be the recommended sand filter size and pump HP? I was thinking 3/4 HP pump and a 36cf filter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

27' 48" round AG sand filter, haywayrd 1.5hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Filter and Pump Size

Welcome to TFP!

3/4 HP should be just fine. For a sand filter, I would look for something that takes 300 lbs of sand, or more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Filter and Pump Size

Thanks for the welcome.

So one think I forgot to add is I also run a G3 Barracuda off this pump. Would I need to get more than a 3/4?
    Currently I have 1.5 HP pump, quite possible because I have some water jets off little bench (but it is never run and will not ever be run while pool is being cleaned).

Also curious on filters - is there more water resistance from a DE filter or from a sand filter? (or it really doesn't matter!).

27' 48" round AG sand filter, haywayrd 1.5hp pump