Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking about a hot tub

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking about a hot tub

Hello all, I have ran across an ad on cl, of course, a guy is getting rid of a 8 by 8 sundance hot tub. Says it has a recent pinnacle heater system with thermostat, hasnt been used in about a year. has the wood veneer sides cover and all for FREE. I have never owned a hot tub, have a rent house. What does it taked to install one, i have a back wood patio but would rather have it on the ground, what would i need for a base? How much, approx. do they weigh?would the big blocks work or do you have to pour concrete? I have a electrician friend who i am gonna have come out to look to see if i can wire it in. What is it gonna do to my electric bill? what are chemicals gonna run? It would be amazing to have a hot tub at my bachelor pad, but wanna kinda know what im getting into. Thanks, i appreciate any input.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thinking about a hot tub

I poured a concrete slab (make sure its level and stable). Also had to put in a 60 amp breaker with ground fault protector. Two people can move it with a dolly. Depending how old it is and the move, I would check for leaks before filling it all the way. Chemicals are relatively cheap - I may pay $60/year. Basic chems are Chlorine shock, Bleach, dry acid (PH down)....You can use baking soda to adjust TA and borax (20 mule team) to adjust PH. Depending on the insulation, my heater really may kick on once or twice/day depending on your temp settings. Mine's at 100 during summer and 101-2 during winter so I estimate it effects my electric bill maybe $15 a month on average. Get a good test kit (Taylor). I would also buy a spare filter cartridge that I swap out every other water change - they'll last a long time. Mine is a Sundance as well (vintage 2007 model) have no issues but bought it new.
    Sundance Hot Tub 365 gal, acrylic
    (2) 2.5 hp pumps
    Northwest Ohio resident

3. Back To Top    #3

North Central Texas

I would reinforce the wood cabinet while moving it. Also, you can move it to the location, once on the ground by putting 1.2" PVC pipes under it and rolling it over them. The one or two that come out the backside are then placed in the front and so forth. I move a lot of heavy things like that myself. If you have to go over rocks or soft ground you can put down a tarp or lay 2 X 4s to roll across. You could also use larger PVC. I just happen to keep 1.5" for jobs such as that.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gilbert AZ

My Hot Tub is small (250 gallons) and I keep the temp @ 102*. The electric costs me about $5.00 per month during the winter months, but I have my tub well insulated.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I'd check to see if the tub will clear the gate, or will you have to tear down a section of fence?

Also get approval from the landlord. Sometimes they get picky about killing sections of lawn. And if you move and leave the tub, he's got to deal with it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Cupertino, CA

Regarding water maintenance, the basics are handled in this post:
    I find it works really well.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

Rocklin, Ca

I have an 8 x 8 Cal Spas tub and it weighs 1000 pounds empty and 4600 pounds full. The huge Samoan guys that moved it used a dolly. Check out the link in my signature to see a few shots of them moving it.

Most tubs require only a 50A circuit. Material alone for this hookup can be a bit spendy can run into the hundreds.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html