Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test

1. Back To Top    #1

Close to Houston

CYA test

OK, I just got my CYA test today and ran it twice. I got about 25 both times which is what I kinda expected. I have the chlorine test already and can take TA and pH at work. CYA was the only other thing I really needed to test for but I thought I could get this from the pool store every so often so I didn't buy it. I had taken 2 different samples in to the store about 2 weeks apart and both times they got 100 and it was 2 different employees. I guess my question is am I doing my test right or can they be that far off? Do I keep going until the black dot is completely gone? Should I be in sunlight to look at the test or is normal inside lighting OK?

Thanks for the help,
    18' above ground from Leslies
    Hayward sand filter (100 lbs) with 50 lbs Zeosand
    1 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: CYA test

The CYA test is designed to be read in indirect sunlight. Using indoor lighting you will tend to get a slightly higher reading that you would outdoors.

Pool stores are frequently way off.

Yes, the black dot should be totally gone, no evidence of it having ever been there even after looking for a couple of seconds.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Stephens City, VA

My favorite CYA test tip:

After you test in the indirect sunlight, pour the solution back in the mixing bottle, and do the black dot search again. Then repeat. That way you are more confident in your result. And it saves on reagent...cuz I'm cheap, errr, thrifty on that kind of stuff.
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump Liquidator TFT100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Carolina

Hi Roger,

Along with the good info you have already gotten, here's a link to Taylor's instructions, including pics of the test that have really helped lots of us ... ntentID=36
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!