Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how much does a service company charge to test water onsite?

1. Back To Top    #1

how much does a service company charge to test water onsite?

How much would a pool service guy/company, on average, to go onsite and do a water test and make necessary adjustments? Just testing and adjustments, no cleaning or other servicing. How often do people have their water tested by an outside company if they don't do it themselves?
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how much does a service company charge to test water onsite?

I usually take mine in once a month for kicks just to see what they try to sell me, but I do not buy. The rest of the time I test myself.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Not really sure. Probably the amount for a one-hour service call which is just about enough to pay for a TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Before I learned to do it myself (many pools ago), I'd have someone come out from a pool company to do that check once in a while. It ran $100-150 each time, depending on where I was living at the time.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rastoma
    How much would a pool service guy/company, on average, to go onsite and do a water test and make necessary adjustments? Just testing and adjustments, no cleaning or other servicing. How often do people have their water tested by an outside company if they don't do it themselves?
    Edited for non relevant information.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

For the company I work for to do it, it would be $85, just to show up for < 31min. + the cost of whatever chems I used (at the standard 200% mark-up).

If I had to pay that to have someone else test my pool, I'd do it myself!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I do it for free.

Odds are, that if they're calling me, they're not the TFP type and looking for someone to care for their pool. Most of the time I'll do a full site/pool analysis (water included) while I am there. That, along with follow-up, and I win about 90% of the people I do this for (over competitive pool care companies).

And in the few cases I don't win, I feel good that I've given someone a valid test and good advice.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Costs for testing vary somewhat by geographical area. As the costs of fuel rise, so do the costs of water testing service. Each company may test for different chemical levels. In Northern California, I used to pay $65 a month for weekly pH and chlorine testing and the addition of muriatic acid. I have an SWG, so no chlorine addition was necessary. I found I was having some huge swings in pH level when adding muriatic only once weekly, and they did not test for CYA. After finding the TFP website, I continued to test my water for a month until I was sure I had it, then sent the company a letter indicating their service was no longer necessary. They were actually very professional, answered my questions about equipment operation and chemical levels. TFP set me free.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

9. Back To Top    #9

I test for free (how else do I know what I have to deal with or how long it will take?). Like Jeff (taekwondodo) said, it is good for getting the business and makes me feel good that I can give an honest, accurate report on their water. Heck, I'm already there, and I'm only going to burn a couple minutes of time and pennies of reagents doing the test; why try and lose the business by trying to get paid for a little work when I might get the whole job just by being "fair"?