Advice on used hot tub

May 7, 2010
I've never owned a hot tub so I'm needing some guidance. Came across a Tiger Spa Siberian L on craigslist. Looks like it was top of the line for that brand when they made that model. Hasn't been made in a few years from what I can tell. It's a large one, 8 seater, holds about 450 gallons of water.
Owner claims it just needs a new "circulating pump". I have a pentair spa/pool pump extra..can it be used for a circulating pump or is it something more specific? Owner states he priced a replacement at $150. He is asking $600 for the spa. They ran around 7000 when they were sold new.
We have a concrete patio I think I can put it on. The manual I found online calls for a 4" concrete pad. Not sure our concrete is that thick..I'll have to check..but my husband can pour concrete. I would also have to get it wired to our panel box..it takes 220 (or is it 230? whatever the higher voltage is) We do have an electrician friend who I think we could get to do it pretty cheaply (or maybe even for beer :cheers: )

Any thoughts? Is this taking on too much for a noobie? Sure would be nice to have one!

Go over the tub really well, make sure everything he says works actually does. Make sure the cabinet isn't rotting away (unless you or your husband are handy and can fix it), check out all the plumbing, etc. Check the shell carefully for cracks, that's the really big thing. In general, just try to make sure you know everything that will need to be fixed, and depending on the work involved, decide if it's worth it to you. Personally, I'd think you could get it cheaper than that, around $500 or maybe even $400. But if he doesn't want to budge on price, then you have to decide if it's worth it.

I got mine on CL for $150, around the same size as yours, and had to replace one of the pumps and rebuild the cabinet. But, I'm in TX and you're in TN, so take that for what it's worth.

Maybe someone else will chime in and add anything I missed, good luck!

What can I check with the circulator pump broken? Does that mean I can't check the jets working and stuff? He said $600 obo..

The other fun is moving it. He offered to move it for $100. We have a trailer it might fit on..but not sure how you get it up on it. Once we get home it's all concrete from our drive to the backyard.

Is that the only pump? If not, make sure the other one(s) works. Without the circ. pump you won't be able to check the heater (should have mentioned that earlier), but if the tub is filled (hopefully), check for leaks EVERYWHERE you can see. Look for damp areas underneath the tub too.

Moving the tub is FUN! :roll: If you can get a few friends to help, move it yourself. Trust me, it's heavier than it looks! If you're okay paying $600, see if you can get the tub and him to move it for that price.

Just don't go into it thinking everything's going to be in perfect shape. After all, it is used. It obviously needs a new pump, but it may need plumbing work, or something of the sort. I just don't want you to pay $600 or so for it, then sink another grand or two into it for a new control pack, other new pumps (if it has more than one), and stuff like that, you know?

Basically, if it only has one pump, the only thing you can check is if it holds water. The rest is a crapshoot, really. Everything may work fine, or it may all need replaced. You just don't know.

Also, the extra pump you have may or may not work. It depends on whether your pump voltage matches the one with the tub, the fittings on both pumps need to match, and also, yours may just be too big for a circ. pump on a hot tub.

Sorry my posts have been so scattered, I've got a lot on my mind right now, and as soon as I think of something, I'm typing it, in no particular order. I'll check back in a little while and cover anything I missed and answer any other questions you have.

Did you get to go check it out? How did it go?

cheddar85 said:
Just don't go into it thinking everything's going to be in perfect shape. After all, it is used.

Sorry if I offended you by putting it like that, I read it back to myself and realized how it sounded. I didn't mean to sound condescending or anything. That wasn't my intention at all. :oops:

If you have any more questions, please ask! If I can't answer, hopefully someone else here will be able to!

Thanks Cheddar...we haven't been able to check it out yet...we work weekends, guy works weekdays. Maybe Monday evening we can.

We are still not too sure about the whole thing..would be nice to have one..but hubby really wants a pressure washer to do stuff around the house and we want to work on our landscaping too. But we'll probably at least go see it and see if the guy seems to want to bargain any.

I know what you mean, the only reason we got ours is because it was $150. Same thing with our pool, we paid $300, and even though we wanted to use that money for other stuff it was just something we felt like we couldn't pass up. Almost all the pools here on CL are outrageously priced Intex pools, so we jumped on it.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Thanks..I'll keep ya posted. Our house is going to be great for entertaining once we get it fixed up more. It's good size, private yard, the pool (once I get it cleared up all the way!) barbecue pit, screened in huge porch, etc. I think the hot tub would be a great addition..just already so much to do. I really hate to work more at my job than I have to lol. But of course the hot tub would be nice stress relief right? :)

Also be prepared for the tubs cost if you buy it. Mine added 85$ extra a month for power and in the long run, I got frustrated on how little we used vs how much it costed me monthly. So I sold mine on craigslist.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.