Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Orange-brown stains on the bottom of the deep end

Orange-brown stains on the bottom of the deep end

One thing I never paid much attention to before but bothers me now that the water is clean and pristine is the circular staining that is rust colored all over the deep end in my pool. It seems to go in a wide arching circle around the deep end, about 2 foot from the main drain out to the walls. Color is dark orange and brown, sort of a pumpkin color.

Could these be copper stains? rust stains? Something else? What's a good way to clean them without throwing off my pool chemistry?

Denis
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

Re: Orange-brown stains on the bottom of the deep end

Drop a few vitamin C tablets on the stain and see if it lightens after a day or so. That would indicate metal staining.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Drop a few vitamin C tablets on the stain and see if it lightens after a day or so. That would indicate metal staining.
    Just plain old vitamin C tablets from the vitamin store? or something specifically made for pools?
    Clearwater, Florida

Plain old vitamin c from the vitamin aisle or vit store...
    Helpful links: Pool School; The Pool Calculator; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Be sure to turn the pump and/or cleaners off when testing. Otherwise the tablet will move around. When I did the deep end some of them rolled down towards the drain but a few stopped without rolling.

Some of us have gotten black staining coming off of the tablet after a while but that doesn't always happen. (It goes away; just leave the tablet alone.) Really great indication it is metal. In my case the stain was iron. I did a successful AA treatment for it.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

My iron stains stains are usually a tannish to brownish. Copper is usually dark and more bluish black/dark grey. The iron stains hold firmer to calcium scale areas. Any rust I've had usually is darker and does have a reddish tint to it. I'll bet, though, there are variations on all.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    My iron stains stains are usually a tannish to brownish. Copper is usually dark and more bluish black/dark grey. The iron stains hold firmer to calcium scale areas. Any rust I've had usually is darker and does have a reddish tint to it. I'll bet, though, there are variations on all.

gg=alice
    I bet you're right. I've tried scrubbing on them with a coarse nylon brush and it didn't even budge. I'll try the Vitamin C tabs tonight.
    Clearwater, Florida