Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: General Salt Setup Question

1. Back To Top    #1

General Salt Setup Question

I ordered a SWG(intex) and now the excitement of learning something new starts...

When should I add the salt..?
    now as I wait for the Generator to get here...
    after I get the Generator plumbed in...

How many bags should I have on hand?
    Just a quick estimate...
    I have checked the pool calc to reach 2400ppm and it says ~350lbs does this seem right...?
    Or does my water have some natural salt in it?

My CYA is low... always low... I am going to start raising it now... to hopefully have it here for the SWG install...
    My pH runs low too... hopefully this will work out...

What else do I have to think about?
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: General Salt Setup Question

First off let me say that you are going to love your new intex swg, I just installed ours about three weeks ago and i love it. I hope you got the 2009 8110 model as it dose not have the copper plates that you do not want. You can add the salt before the swg gets there if you like. You want to make sure you run your pump for twentyfour hours to to make sure all of the salt is dissolved prior to starting the swg. The amount of salt which you will need depends on the size of your pool. You will need to get some salt test strips that they sell at any pool store to check your salt level. I can tell you that you need to aim for about 3000-3200 ppp for the intex swg so you will need a bit more salt then 350lbs. When it comes to cya level we recomend anywhere between 60-80 this depends on how much sunlight you have. This should pretty much help you out. Just don't let the swg make you lazy, believe me it's easy to do lol. The intex swg is a snap to operate just set the amount of hours you want and it will resume 24hr later as long as the power dosn't surge or go out. If it dose you will have to reset it. I hope this helps.

Daniel
    24' 52" Agp 13500 gallons, PoolSchool, BBB, eco/kleer pump/filter 2.0 hp 70 gpm
    two 2'20' solar panels, 8110 intex swg

3. Back To Top    #3

When it comes to PH and SWGS....

The SWG is a source of aeration - PH drifting up is a common issue for SWG users. It's one of the reasons we recommend a TA of 60-80 for SWG users - it helps keep the PH in check. So the two are related -

Get your CYA dissolving in sock- and use the non-SWG section of the CYA/Chlorine chart for your recommended FC levels until the SWG is operational.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

get all of your levels balanced first, then add the salt

5. Back To Top    #5

How long should it take for the initial addition of salt before it's cycled through and the test strips will be accurate?
    16x32 inground vinyl liner. 4ftx8.5ft?
    1HP Hayward superpump, hayward 300?lb sand filter.

1 broken skimmer in middle, addition of dual inlet bottom drains in deep end
    3 returns (1 deep end, 1 shallow end, 1 center of shallow end.)

6. Back To Top    #6

Give the salt 24 hours to mix in before testing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Salt dumped into the pool... stirred, mixed, excited...
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

8. Back To Top    #8

I added 8 40lb bags of salt to the pool yesterday evening... Tonight I took a sample and only got a 1174 ppm reading on the magic stick.

So is all the salt still on the deep end?, Should I drop the vacuum down and let it suck from the bottom for a hour or two?
    I always think that the pool doesn't get enough circulation on the deep side(no main drain)...
    I expected a reading much closer to 2500-2800 by adding that much salt...Maybe my pool is bigger than I though =]
    -inBamaNow

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Did you let the water circulate for 24hrs?

10. Back To Top    #10

If you don't have a main drain, then yes try the vacuum trick. If it does change the salt level significantly you will need to work on improving your circulation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

It definitely helped.. I can taste the difference =] who needs a test strip??!

I am running out of time to play tonight... but I am going to get up in the morning and drop the vacuum again for a while to see if I can circulate some more...

To improve circulation is there anything I can do? Aim the eyes better... both are pointing about around 85° (assume 0° is up)
    just enough to make so ripples on the surface... Should I aim the deep end one more downward to try to catch some bottom water? And how much?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you don't have a main drain, then yes try the vacuum trick. If it does change the salt level significantly you will need to work on improving your circulation.
    -inBamaNow

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, aim one of your returns down towards the bottom of the deep end. I try to aim for the angle where the bottom meets the wall/slope at the nearest point of the deep end from the return jet. That works well for an oval pool, but may need to be something else, depending on the shape you have.

13. Back To Top    #13

I got a 2700+ reading this morning after 30 minutes of bottom sucking.... $2.50 of tests down...
    I am afraid to add another bag, if I just need more circulation to get the ppm up...
    -inBamaNow

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by daniel00
    First off let me say that you are going to love your new intex swg, I just installed ours about three weeks ago and i love it. I hope you got the 2009 8110 model as it dose not have the copper plates that you do not want. You can add the salt before the swg gets there if you like. You want to make sure you run your pump for twentyfour hours to to make sure all of the salt is dissolved prior to starting the swg. The amount of salt which you will need depends on the size of your pool. You will need to get some salt test strips that they sell at any pool store to check your salt level. I can tell you that you need to aim for about 3000-3200 ppp for the intex swg so you will need a bit more salt then 350lbs. When it comes to cya level we recomend anywhere between 60-80 this depends on how much sunlight you have. This should pretty much help you out. Just don't let the swg make you lazy, believe me it's easy to do lol. The intex swg is a snap to operate just set the amount of hours you want and it will resume 24hr later as long as the power dosn't surge or go out. If it dose you will have to reset it. I hope this helps.

Daniel
    Daniel,

Can you explain to me and my wife why no one wants the copper that comes with the Intex system, we just got ours today?
    36K gal, concrete, A O Smith 1HP pump, Jacuzzi Tri-clops cartridge filter, heater

15. Back To Top    #15

You do not want to add metals to your water - it is not chlorine that turns hair green, it is metals - copper among them. I believe it has been explained in a thread somewhere that the copper ion plates or whatever they are on that unit can be bypassed or disconnected
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!