Priming Superflo Pump

dogma1

May 11, 2010
I have an IG pool and we have just installed a new Pentair Superflo High Performance Pump. It needs to be primed to get going. I have poured buckets! of water into the basket and each time I turn it on the water disappears. The pump is slightly above the pool (ground level). Sand filter, vinyl. The instructions speak of the air intake valve and to open this to remove air. Question: where on the pump or piping is this valve? How much water should be needed? What should my filter be set at to do this?
Thanks,
AET

How long are you giving the pump to try to pull prime when you turn it on? It may take a minute or more to get going.

I believe that they are referring to your valve under your pressure gauge. Once you power the pump on, you open the valve to clear air until you get a steady flow of water through there and then you close the valve back off. Your multiport should be set to filter.

Have you tried back filling your line? Sometimes my pump won't prime right away so I'll stick a hose into the intake side and let it back fill the line completely. Then I fill the basket, give it a few seconds for air to work it's way out, top it off and then fire it up. The water gets wooshed out for a moment and then fills right back up from the intake.

I have not tried back filling the line and am woefully not knowledgeable about the pump. If I were to do this, would I just put the hose in via the basket and aim it towards the filter or towards the pump? I'll check on the air valve...

I've checked for the valve on the filter. I don't see one, but it is a relatively old sand filter. I think the instructions are referring to somewhere on the pump itself. Googling around, I see it is a replaceable part but can't figure out what it looks like!

dogma1, you've got karma ( :lol: ) and I like that :cheers:

Welcome to TFP!!

There ought be an air relief knob at the top of the filter but, if yours doesn't have one, it's no big deal. You won't find one on the pump.

How many lines run into the pump? If more than one, only try to prime the pump off one at a time and open the others slowly, so as not to loose the prime. There are other tricks I use and will proffer them if you still have problems :)

(note to self: write up something on priming pumps and submit for forum approval) :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.