Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting to work on a green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting to work on a green pool

I am about to start the process of working on a green pool. I now have water test results.

TDS 50
    CYA 0
    TC 0.3
    FC 0.3
    pH 7.0
    TA 25
    Adj. TA 25
    Total Hardness 50
    Metals 0

So I have read and re-read the thread on how to do it. My questions are as follows:

1- Do I increase TA at this time?
    2- DO I increase pH at this time?

The swamp thread states "Fifth, adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.4 before you start. Chlorine is more effective at lower PH levels.

I realize that I do have to raise my CYA level before starting. Thanks in advance.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting to work on a green pool

Is your pump circulating water yet? Your signature states that you can't tell what equipment works yet so that's why I was wondering. You need to be able to circulate the water in order to clear it up.

3. Back To Top    #3

Assuming your equipment is running OK, fixing the TA and pH before starting would be a good idea, but probably not absolutely necessary. Make sure you have lots of chlorine ready! You will probably need a ton!

You don't say if you've cleaned out all the organic debris you can. If not, you should. It will make things much faster and easier on your filter.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Great Question. No it is not working yet. I bought supplies today to do a repair on a return jet. After I do the repair, I will start everything up to make sure it is all working properly before I start adding any chemicals.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by plucky71
    Great Question. No it is not working yet. I bought supplies today to do a repair on a return jet. After I do the repair, I will start everything up to make sure it is all working properly before I start adding any chemicals.
    Very well then. This is important, not only to help clear your pool, but also because your water test sample must be drawn from a pool that has the water moving, rather than sitting stagnant. This can make a significant difference in how your pH and TA can look. It won't hurt things for it to sit there and be green until you get that pump going. Make sure that you get as much of the solid stuff out of the water as you can before commencing to circulating and adding chemicals.

6. Back To Top    #6

This is important, not only to help clear your pool, but also because your water test sample must be drawn from a pool that has the water moving, rather than sitting stagnant. This can make a significant difference in how your pH and TA can look.

Thank you. I did not consider that. I will get it up and running and then test it again.

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, how are you testing your water? Now would be a good time for you to go ahead and purchase a high quality test kit. A good test kit is the best insurance you can have to protecting your pool and achieving the best looking water possible.

I would encourage you to look at the Test Kit Comparison page and make your selection amongst the TF Test Kits. The TF-100 is top notch.