3 way valve settings - drawing a blank!!!!

May 11, 2010
Newbie here.....We just opened our pool this weekend and I am completely drawing a blank regarding how the 3-way valves should be positioned. One valve can turn off/on the spa drain (set to off), another valve controls the skimmers (both on), and the third valve controls the pool drain (set to open). Is this the right configuration? The only reason I am questioning this setup, is the pump, when turned on, is very loud, and doesn't seem to be fully primed (water is flowing, but water in basket doesn't reach the top of the lid). Another issue which concerns me, when I manually vacuum the pool, the pump loses its pressure after a couple minutes (one skimmer is off and the pool drain is set to off). I can't seem to "fully" prime/fill the filter basket.

I included a picture to show you the setup. Pump/DE filter is at the top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 90
The picture is a little close, but not close enough. :) It's too close to see all the equipment but it's not close enough to read the labels on the pipes.

The description you gave is correct but the valves in the pic look like they're set wrong. Like i said I can't read the labels but something doesn't look right.

Left label is spa drain (set to off). Top label is pool drain (set to off in the picture but should be set to open....looks like I was taking the picture when i was in the middle of vacuuming the pool, or should the valve be closed towards the line coming from the spa drain?). Bottom two labels control the skimmers (both set to open). Does this help? If not, let me know and I will take a broader picture tonight and upload. If this is indeed the correct setup, any thoughts towards why the filter is so loud or why vacuum loses pressure?

Thanks for your help.

The bottom valve, by your toes, have both sides open. Could this be for two skimmers?
Handle is @ 12 o'clock and the wider closed part is at 6 o'clock.

The valve straight up from it, by the grey conduit, is closed. Main Drain for pool?
Handle is @ 6 o'clock and wider closed part is 12 o'clock.

The valve top left, by the blue backwash hose, is closed. Spa Drain?
Handle is @ 3 o'clock and wider closed part is @ 9 o'clock.

I would make sure your pool's main drain is also open. Right now it looks like only the skimmers are open.

joenj said:
The bottom valve, by your toes, have both sides open. Could this be for two skimmers?

The valve straight up from it, by the grey conduit, is closed. Main Drain for pool?

I would make sure your pool's main drain is also open. Right now it looks like only the skimmers are open.

You got everything right, but which way should the pool drain valve be set - fat part left or fat part right? I am assuming to the right so all three intake/outfall pipes are open?

flem1014 said:
Left label is spa drain (set to off). Top label is pool drain (set to off in the picture but should be set to open....looks like I was taking the picture when i was in the middle of vacuuming the pool, or should the valve be closed towards the line coming from the spa drain?).

Do not close the main drain going towards the spa drain with the spa drain closed too. You may be buying a new pump.

When vacuuming, use current pictured setup and close the skimmer without your vacuum hose attached. You want all water coming from your vacuum source.

flem1014 said:
joenj said:

You got everything right, but which way should the pool drain valve be set - fat part left or fat part right? I am assuming to the right so all three intake/outfall pipes are open?

FAT PART RIGHT

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.