Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ammonia Again !

1. Back To Top    #1

ammonia Again !

Ok so I see this is happening for the third year already. I have ammonia in the water. Test kit shoes at least 8ppm which would take 80ppm of chlorine to neutralize. My question is , the pool is green on the bottom as well and I must vacuum. Is there a point in putting in the bleach to kill the chlorine before I vacuum or do I have to vacumn first ? Thanks
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ammonia Again !

Are you going to vacuum to waste and then refill? If so I'd probably vacuum first and then dump the chlorine in. It's probably not going to make much difference but may save you a tiny bit of chlorine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I'm going to vacum to waste on Thursday, but I can start dumpimg the bleach in tonight , is it worth getting a 2 day "head start" on the ammonia poroblem, and then vacum on Thursday to get rid of the green on the bottom ?

Thanks
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless you're going to vacuum a lot of water to waste I don't think it'll make a big difference in the amount of chlorine you'll need. I personally wouldn't wait two more days to start dumping the chlorine in.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit