Discrepancy in Test numbers

May 9, 2010
I am new to the site (yesterday). yesterday i bought a new pool tesitng kit form Leslie's so i can calculate both Total Chlorine and Free Chlorine. When i got the new kit, i tested for all number and they were off from my prior test kit. Old test kit (a Pentair kit i got with my pool but updated reagents last year) showed Chlorine of .3; ph of 8.2; alk of 80. My new kit form Leslies (not the $70 one but the $29 one) showed readings of FC - .5; TC - 3; ph -7.2; alk - 140.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy? Which one should i follow? Am i going to try to raise Ph or lower Ph?; raise alk or lower alk?

The Leslie's. Don't adjust ph or TA right now.

If your TC is 3 then your CC is 2.5 which means you need to shock the pool.

You need an FAS-DPD test to supplement your kit, its easier to use and more accurate, plus it can test FC/CC up to 50ppm, which is essential when having to shock.

Do you know your CYA level?

Read this article:
How to Shock Your Pool

Thanks. I thought the Leslie's one would be more accurrate also. I did not get a CYA level yet. I will bring my water to LEslie's this weekend and get it. Based on the numbers of CC i shocked the pool earlier this evening. I'm in NJ and just opned my pool last thursday. There was a lot of organic matter form the winter that is just now dissapating - thus the presnece of CC (i think). On friday morning i couldn't even see the main drains in the deep end, now the pool is relatively clear so i ahve a feeling the chlorine is "eating up" all of the organic matter. hopefully, it will level off now taht it is clearer.

this weekend i will get teh CYA level and then return here to figure out my apprpriate chlorine levels. hopefully by then teh TA and PH will have stablized with the chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.