Vacuuminga pool?

hanau

Apr 20, 2008
When Vacuuming your pool do you leave the sand filter on filter, then backwash when done Vacuuming?

Or do you put sand filter to waste when Vacuuming?

I always put to waste while Vacuuming, i never thought about it till now and thought i would ask.

If you have a lot of stuff to vacuum out I would switch to waste, if just a little spot cleaning I leave on filter and backwash when the pressure reaches my backwash level. If you leave on filter and have a lot to clean out the filter pressure will rise rapidly and you will have to backwash frequently. Experience will tell you which uses the least water.

It depends on how much "stuff" I'm trying to vacuum out of the pool. Most of the time, I vacuum with it set to "filter" ~90% of the time). I use this setting for my routine once or twice a week vacuum. Once in awhile, I will vacuum to waste. If there is unusually heavy debris I dont want going thru the filter, I'll use that setting. I use a skimmer sock too, so it catches a lot of stuff there as well. I dont backwash after every vacuum either. For me, my base filter pressure runs around 10 psi. When it hits 16-17, i'll backwash.

It depends. In my old pool, 40K gal and a 3/4hp pump, I would always vacuum to waste. I needed the better performance and I didn't lose that much water. In my new pool, 28k gal and a 1.5hp pump with all 2" plumbing, I lose several inches of water if I vacuum to waste and I can barely move the vac head. So I always vacuum to filter. I only backwash when I reach my pressure limit. The pump trap gets all the big stuff.

So try it both ways and see what works for you.

If you have a lot of large debris an inline leaf/debris canister will be your filter's best friend. They install about 4-5' from the skimmer/vac connecton and can really reduce the amount of times you have to backwash and/or vac to waste - obviously they are not intended to catch small partical waste like algae, but if it is leaves and large debris, they really help.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I didn't know if there was a correct way to vacuum or not.

I have always vacuum to waste.
Since i do most of the vacuuming in the morning , I go out before the pump kicks on and all of the debris is in the center, Vacuum it up and hit anything that i can see.
Then repeat in a few days.

The correct way to vacuum is to do what works for you. If I could get out every day and it all be in a neat pile I'd probably vacuum to waste all the time too.

My junk's never in a neat pile, it's all over and since I'm responsible for getting the GS to baseball games and practice I only get to vacuum once or twice a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.