Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much salt.

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much salt.

Hey guys,

So I just got my pool built and there has been water in it about 1 week now. My salt level has increased from 3200 to now 3500 ppm.

I thought your salt level falls over time not increases? But I guess it can increase due to water evaporation?

So do I just need to add fresh water? Or do I need to drain some water and then add more fresh water?

Sorry, I'm new to all this.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much salt.

Having salt at 3500 shouldn't be a problem. You can just leave it there for now.

There are a couple of possible reasons the level may have changed. The difference may simply be testing error. None of the tests are exactly repeatable. Also, many of the chemicals you add contain some salt. If you added something other than salt, that might have brought the salt level up a bit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks,

My Goldline is telling me the salt is too high. I also did a manual test and the salt was high. I did add some chemicals mid week but I can't remember what is was right now. ( too early still ) Happy Monday.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah, The Goldline units have a lower high limit than most. Yes, you will need to replace some water. You shouldn't have to replace very much water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi there...3500 PPM salt should not be a problem. In fact, tech support from Pentair (I have a IC-40 unit) suggested I brought my numbers up from 3200 to 3600. I added salt back in Oct. (2 -40lbs-bags), but now, as temps. got warmer I see my salt concentration move up rapidly (I got as high as 4200). Since I have not added any more salt since Oct. my guesses are:

1.) Salt cell does not read well in cold weather
    2.) Evaporation is making the salt solution more concentrated
    3.) Someone besides me added salt to my pool (not likely)

In any case, my quick fix was to add more water (as my water line was a little low anyway) and now salt is within SWCG parameters.

Good luck
    Inground with 7x7 spa (spillover)
    20k gal plaster (sunstone)
    pentair 3/4 hp (filter), 1 hp (spa), 1/2 hp (features)
    cartridge filter
    SWCG IC-40
    Polaris Platinum (with booster)

6. Back To Top    #6

OP has a Goldline. It's a little more picky than the Pentair on the high salt.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just got a reply from my PB about this and they said " The salt level should be ok. As soon as we have some summer storms the salt will lower."

So I will let if go for now although I do need to add a little water.

Thanks