Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaving Solar Cover On?

1. Back To Top    #1

Goldsboro, N.C.

Leaving Solar Cover On?

Over the last few days of hot weather and with a little help from the pool heater, our water temp. was able to get up to about 86. However, the next few days are supposed to be around 70. Can i leave the cover on for a few days without taking it off or do i need to take it off periodically? I don't want to peel the cover back on Thursday and my numbers be out of whack or have messed up water. (not sure that would even happen) I also don't want to let the temp. drop back into the lower 70's by leaving the cover off (pretty sure that would happen) .

25,000 gal. I/G Vinyl Liner Pool; Pentair IC40 SWCG; 3/4 hp Hayward Pump with 244t Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaving Solar Cover On?

no problem with leaving the solar cover on 5-6 days....I tend to find my PH actually falls ever so slightly, but FC loss stays low and the remaining #'s are unaffected
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    Midland, Ontario

Yep, as stated, leave it on, no problems. Mine stays on all the time unless I'm using it.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, leave it on. However, don't do what I did last year which was to ignore the pool for 5 days. Learned the hard way.
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Cupertino, CA

Leave it on unless you're fighting algae or have to shock for some other reason, because sunlight will help get rid of the CCs.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page