Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First swimming pool! intex Ultra frame 20ftx48in

1. Back To Top    #1

First swimming pool! intex Ultra frame 20ftx48in

So, I am a first time pool owner, have always wanted one... and I saw this pool for just at 500 bucks... I figured hey why not give it a try... if I like it I can get a nice one down the road right? So here are the photo's of the pool installation... I was lucky enough to live next to a nursery and they have plenty of bob cats laying around... (they leveled the ground for free, as long as I removed the sod... they are even coming back to pick up the left over dirt after we use what we can! ) If anybody has any recommendations for maintaining one of these.. that would be fantastic! I believe we are going to invest in a better filter in a few weeks once we see how this one goes...

Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First swimming pool! intex Ultra frame 20ftx48in

Welcome to TFP!

That nice that they loaned you a bobcat like that. Now get some water in there and go swimming!

3. Back To Top    #3

Regarding maintenance... you're talking something on the order of 9000 gallons here, which is at the high-end for the small pools guide, but it's still a great summary of one technique for handling a pool like this.
    pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

I'd say, pick up about 5lb of dichlor (don't add it all at once!) and then when that's gone, switch to bleach.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Which pump model did you get? For that size pool, I'd seriously consider an upgrade to a 1/2 hp pump with a sand filter combo...
    Welcome to TFP!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

It is a 1500 gallon filter... Very weak... They filled the pool today and I vaccumed the pool today and it was very weak... Do you know how much that filter would range price wise?
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio

6. Back To Top    #6

Tater,
    Congrats on the new pool and for finding TFP!
    I have the same pool and with the help of the fine folks here, have enjoyed taking care of it.
    As far as a pump/filter $$ goes, you can spend 50.00 on a well used from craigslist to 1200.00 from the pool store.
    Myself - I got mine off of Ebay for 125.00 I think. I now use http://www.searchtempest.com to search craigslist.
    There are 3 main types of pool filters -
    1. DE
    2. Cartridge
    3. Sand
    Each has it's plus and minus side.
    Get yourself a test kit for testing the water.
    Read Pool school.
    Have fun!
    Mike
    I have a cartridge and love it, I swap carts about every month takes about an hour and I am done.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

7. Back To Top    #7

It varies - you don't need a very large pump so you could find 1/2 hp with sand filter or even 3/4 hp for less than $300 brand new, and you might be able to find a better price for something similar slightly used on CL or EBay...just make sure it's for an AG pool and don't go too small on the filter.

When it comes to filters, bigger is better, but when it comes to pumps you won't need more than 3/4 hp, 1 hp is even a bit large.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

I had this same pool last year ....great for the price .......but the pump/filter and i use that term loosely ; is **** !!! what you need is a hayward xstream cart .filter and pump combo and a zodiac ranger vacuum ; perfect for that pool ....trust me been there done this !! on your way home from the pool store stop at lowes and get a 24' round solar cover and enjoy that cheap warm and clean pool !!
    'If you can read this, thank a teacher -and, since it's in English, thank a soldier'