Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can I circulate my pool water - pump down.

1. Back To Top    #1

How can I circulate my pool water - pump down.

I had a problem with my pump and you've all helped me figure that out. But until I can get it fixed, I would like to be able to circulate the water. It's already looking worse after 3 days.

I have a submursable pump, how can I use it? Leave the hose of and just let it sit at the bottom of the pool? Should I leave a garden hose on? Should I move the pump around the pool every few hours?
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How can I circulate my pool water - pump down.

I'd use the submersible pump. I'd set it in the deep end and run the hose up, out and around and have it feed into the shallow end. That ought to get some sort of current going. Maybe move the hose periodically. Or put a plastic rotating sprinkler, if you already have one to try, in the pool and see if it will spin, that should get plenty of circulation going. And then there's always brushing the walls and floor.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I'll try the hose idea. We only have one level (no deep/shallow) but I'll just put it in one side vs the other.

I thought about running around the pool with the vaccuum as fast as I could for awhile But at 7 months pregnant, that's not going to happen, lol.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd do as Richard says and use the pump, just make SURE!! that the grate is in good shape so the liner can't be sucked up into it and shredded (I've seen it happen a number of times )

Good luck with the pool pump. I'll make a note to check out your thread on that

You just posted as i was typing this, congratulations on your impending blessing!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Kathy go to the hardware store and ask them for a 3/8" npt plug , and 1 half inch npt plug. Total cost maybe a buck. it will fix problem untill the correct over priced plug can be ordered .
    One of them will fit that hole , just screw it in and tighten untill snug with a cresent wrench.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder