Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple of questions on the Liquidator...

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple of questions on the Liquidator...

I have a Hayward in line chlorinator which uses the chlorine pucks. It is plumbed so that one line is tapped at the pump exit, and the other is tapped just after the heater (my equipment order is pump, filter, heater). Can I use these existing lines, or does the Liquidator need to be plumbed at the pump inlet/suction?

I assume that the chlorine/water mixture is introduced prior to the equipment (ie. pump, filter, and heater). Is there any concern over this, or is it such a low concentration that it doesn't matter?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Couple of questions on the Liquidator...

The liquidator relies on the low pressure that exists on the suction side of the pump to get the chlorine into the system, so you could perhaps use one of the pressure side openings for the LQ and then the pump strainer basket drain for the suction side.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

As Dave said, it needs a connection at the suction and discharge of the pump to work. The discharge connection is used to fill the LQ and the suction connection is used to feed the chlorine into the system. There's no concern with adding the solution before the equipment.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Man you guys are fast

Thanks for the help....Oh, and with the larger 3/8 line mod, do most people find it works fairly well now?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

It works just ok as it comes but with the 3/8" mod I can peg the flow meter out! I believe I could maintain shock level with the LQ now. I recommend to anyone to go ahead and do the 3/8" line mod even before the ever install the unit the first time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

One note: when doing the mod it's not necessary to drill the holes in the float valve shrouds. Doing so opens you uip to possibly damaging the float valves. Which has been reported happening a few times. It won't increase the flow because the limiting factor is the nozzle which you can't (and don't need to) change.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy320
    I assume that the chlorine/water mixture is introduced prior to the equipment (ie. pump, filter, and heater). Is there any concern over this, or is it such a low concentration that it doesn't matter?
    I tested my water by opening the union on the pump outlet enough to get a sample. It was only 2 or 3ppm higher than the pool water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    One note: when doing the mod it's not necessary to drill the holes in the float valve shrouds. Doing so opens you uip to possibly damaging the float valves. Which has been reported happening a few times. It won't increase the flow because the limiting factor is the nozzle which you can't (and don't need to) change.
    Agreed!! I learned it the hard way.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

9. Back To Top    #9

As far as using the pump strainer basket drain, can you buy a part that will fit in and replace the drain plug so you don't have to drill out the drain plug, and be able to use the drain plug at a later date if needed?

Maybe something like this. Not that that is the right piece, but maybe something like it might work?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

To my knowledge, all those drain plugs are 1/4" NPT so that is the precise fitting that'll work if you use 3/8 hose.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks again guys.

I am going to order some 3/8 line from US Plastics along with the valves and fitting from the upgrade thread. How much line should I order (or how much comes with the liquidator)?

Is this the right line to order? I see there are two types, one with 1/2" OD or a 5/8" OD.

12. Back To Top    #12

That is the right stuff. You really don't need the thick walled stuff. I didn't order the UV resistant stuff either. Partially because I just figured I replace it in a couple of years and because my equipment is under a shed. Here's what I bought.

I odered 10' and had to be careful about routing in order to have enough. I wish I had ordered more.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Great, thanks for everyone's help...

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy320
    Great, thanks for everyone's help...
    I actually got the required tubing from Lowes. It might not be tygon tubing, but its black (I hated looking at cloudy tubing), the correct diameter for the mod, and CHEAP. Something like 20 cents/ft. I wanted 20' (I have my LQ in a nearby storage shed), the roll probably had 35' left, Lowes guy just gave it to me for the price of the 20' I wanted....score!
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell