filter backflow problem

May 8, 2010
Just getting a new 27 round pool set up with a 1.5 HP cartridge filter. The filter also has an inline chlorinater on it.

When I shut off the filter it violently for lack of a better word "baclflows" water shoots up out of the simmer and air shoots out of the return for about 10 seconds. like an eruption.

Cant see it staying like that any thoughts as to the cause. ?? I dont think I had air in the system as I prepped the filter first. its my first time using it new system.

Thanks

I've only see that happen once with an old chlorinator, check for a bleed valve like duraleigh said. Make sure your not introducing air into your system for example your pump could be sucking in some air from the outside but not enough air to totally lose your prime.

Make sure the water covers 1/2 to 2/3 of the skimmer opening. The skimmer basket needs to stay full when the pump is running, and the water should not create a "whirlpool" in the skimmer, as both of these conditions will suck air into the filter.

great I will check for air

1 question I filled the pool 2/3 up the skimmer and it still creates a little whirlpool. I was surprised how much suction it created but its a 1 speed pump how do you deal with something like that

thanks

That whirlpool (if it's big enough to suck air) could be the source of air that's getting into the system and must be eliminated.

Is the weir (it's the flap that moves in the front part of the skimmer) moving freely and dropping down some to allow the water to move freely into the skimmer?

ok so the whirlpool does go away if I fill higher on the skimmer I was just over half way I went to 1 inch below the top.

but I still have a question; I have a cartridge filter and it has an air release valve on top. after running for about an hour if I open that valve lots of air comes out. I wait until its all water then an hour later still more air. repeated this all day (new filter and pool)

what could get air in there. the skimmer is definitely full and no more whirlpools. system seems like it should be fine is this at all normal or normal in new systems what should I check

thanks for all the help

ok so the whirlpool does go away if I fill higher on the skimmer I was just over half way I went to 1 inch below the top.

1. That's too high. It is supposed to operate fine at the halfway point. what about the weir door?

2. Nevertheless, has that fixed the problem of air into your filter or is it still coming in?

3. Can you see air bubbles in the pump strainer basket?

4. Did you let the air out of the filter and then shut the pump off? Did the skimmer basket shoot out when you did that.

5. YOur post is a little confusing. It seems you knew about the air release valve on the filter when the skimmer basket was blowing off. I can't quite follow if you have solved the skimmer basket issue or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sorry let me regroup here if I can.

Originally I had the water a little low in the skimmer I think and it was causing a whirlpool and sucking in air. That caused the skimmer to "blowback" when I turned it off. I solved that major problem by raising the water level. it seems at 1/2 way there is so much suction I get a whirlpool in the skimmer but at 2/3 's its fine. Maybe that is an issue in itself I don't know

NOW in my current state I can bleed out all the air ( I found the bleed valve) and run the filter but air is creeping back in as about every hour I can get air hissing out of relief valve. I do have a few small water drips at a few hose connections so I am going to try today to tighten everything up and run her again. The clear strainer window on the pump itself gets a few small air bubbles in it while running but from what I can see from my neighbors pools that's normal?

I mistakenly thought you plugged it in and it just worked : ) I now see it takes some finagling

sorry for the confusing post

ducati1212 said:
The clear strainer window on the pump itself gets a few small air bubbles in it while running but from what I can see from my neighbors pools that's normal?

No, that's not normal. Common, but not normal. The bubbles in the pump basket indicate an air leak or a restriction on the inlet side of the system.

To add to JohnT, solve that air leak (the bubbles in the strainer basket) and you will very likely solve air accumulating in the top of your filter.

Secondly, let me ask again about the weir in front of the skimmer. Is it stuck or not? If so, that will solve your whirlpool issue as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.