Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to clean salt from pre-cast pavers?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to clean salt from pre-cast pavers?

I have a waterfall feature made out of pre-cast pavers, and over the winter there seems to be a few spots where it seems to be leaching stuff from the joints/pavers. It's milky in color, and I tried scrubbing with just pool water, but it seems fairly hard, and was wondering if something more like muric acid might remove it? If it will, what's the best way to go about using it on the waterfall, should I dilute it, do I have to be careful about not getting it on the liner?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to clean salt from pre-cast pavers?

That sounds like efflorescence. It is probably caused by water getting behind the pavers and carrying dissolved debris to the surface where it is deposited. You can clean it off with acid and water. Start with 1 to 10 acid to water, and if that goes too slowly raise it to 1 to 4 acid to water. You don't want to get any acid on the liner. If you do drip some on the liner, rinse it right off with lots of pool water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, thanks will do...
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason,

Just a quick note to say the muric acid worked great at removing the efflorescence from the pavers and grout.....thanks