Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump motor seal replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump motor seal replacement?

Really need help! Contractor replaced stock motor and reduced to 3/4hp. Overheated and kept shutting off. I asked him to come and remove it and take it back. He did and left all the bolts and screws, plates, etc. in a pile. I went and picked up a 1.5hp replacement motor to make sure the original pump motor is replaced correctly. Also picked up a seal and white ring with rubber cover (all in one box). Does anyone have a close up diagram of the sequence or direction to put the ring and seal in? I looked all over on the web and could not find a close up or written sequence. I am coming into this having never done it before.

If anyone can share advice on this I would be very grateful. We are having a party tomorrow and pool is out of commission and needs to be vacuumed.

J. Litvany, Oakton, Virginia
    17K Gallon, Vinyl liner, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Pentair Challenger 1.5HP Pump, Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pump motor seal replacement?

Welcome to TFP!

Is this a good enough diagram?

This topic walks through the same procedure for a WhisperFlo. The steps won't all be exactly the same, but reasonably close.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I reviewed this before posting. I just cannot tell where to start. I have the motor, with the plain threaded shaft, then a seal plate (square to mount the pump housing to the motor. What is the sequence and where would I start on the Pentair Challenger 1.5hp?

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

If you have a Hayward SuperPump, I could do it blindfolded & thereby,give you 'step by step' instructions (actually, I have done that and will link the inf, if you need it )

Let me know what problems you have, and I'll 'walk' you through it
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

On the diagram provided by JasonLion it looks clear. Should the seal fit snuggly or just slip right in?

6. Back To Top    #6

the seat should slide firmly in. I always use lubricant when installing seals.