new pool, where do I begin with sanitation?

1. Get a good test kit. (see my signature!) A 6-way (not strips) from wal-mart will do for now. If nothing else, take a sample to the pool store and have them test for you

2. post your numbers and we can help you!

What did you fill with? city water? well water?

You will need to get some bleach in there soon. If your pool is 4' deep (the water depth) you have 12000 gallons, 1.5 quarts will get you to 2ppm FC.

Post those numbers and we can give you all the help you will need!

Welcome.
I just installed an above ground pool, dumped a couple gallons of chlorine in and let the pump run for a couple days, checked the CL/Ph/Alk, and put the pump on a timer running 2x daily, started adjusting at night trying to lower Alk, raising Ph, checking in the morning. Don't get stressed about it, remember to enjoy your pool and the family, the chemicals will become simple.

The first thing you need is a test kit. Walmart/Lowes/HD sell a 6-way kit for about 15 bucks. This will tell you what your pH/alkalinity/CYA levels are. Your CYA (stabilizer and chlorine levels should be 0 since this is a new pool.

Once you get those levels you can go here: http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to calculate how much stablizer/chlorine/borax/baking soda you need to get your water balanced. With a new pool it is a good idea to add enough bleach to shock the water for about 24hrs. The stabilizer is important - it will protect against chlorine loss due to sun. I learned this the hard way. The stabilizer can also take up to a week to fully dissolve so get it in the pool as soon as you can.

If you filled the pool from well water you probably have metals in the water. Your pool store can test for this. If you do you need a sequestrant/chelating agent otherwise the metals will react with the chlorine instead of the chlorine killing the nasties. I learned this the hard way too.

I went to Walmart and purchased the 6 way test kit and several gallons of bleach. Last evening I added 2 gallons of 6% bleach and let the pump run all night. Our pool is 16X32X4.5 rectangular with a vinyl liner. The pool was filled with city water, not well water. I tested the water this morning and this is the results. I used the pool calculator and it said to add 125 0z. of bleach, 238 ox. of borax, 243 oz. of baking soda, and 92 oz. of stabilizer. Is this correct? Is there anything else I should know before I do this? Thanks!

FC .6
CC 1.0
Br 1.3
Ph below 6.8
Alk 40
Water Hardness 100
Stabilizer 0

Welcome to TFP. When you have CCs that means there is algae - you need to get the FC up to shock level and keep it there continuously for 24 hrs to kill that off completely (adding/testing at least every couple hours) the PH needs to come up as well.

The Stabilizer (CYA) should be in the 30-50ppm range but adding that will take time. Add the recommended amount and wait for it to fully disolve at least 4-7 days before the final test to see if more is needed. In the meantime, keep up with the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.