Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Hayward pump leaking from hole on bottom of motor?

Hayward pump leaking from hole on bottom of motor?

So my Hayward Super II Pump is leaking from a hole near the motor end of the pump or where the motor mounts to #13 in the figure. Its hard to tell since its on the bottom. I replaced the housing gasket #5 and that didn't fix it. The impeller ring (#7) is sloppy and there isn't a gasket, just a plastic piece. Is this supposed to have a gasket?. Is there supposed to be a plug in this hole? Or do I have another bad part? What part would it be?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~25000 gallon free-form in-ground plaster pool located in Tucson in full sun
    TFT-100 Test Kit
    Hayward DE4820 filter
    Caretaker system
    Hayward 1 1/2 HP Super Pump

Re: Hayward pump leaking from hole on bottom of motor?

I've had what sounds like the same problem twice on a Hayward Max-Flow and twice already on a Hayward Super Pump. It sounds like the motor shaft seal (part 9 on your diagram) needs to be replaced.

Good luck with it. I don't know what's going on with them, but I'm having my share of problems with it.

This link might help too.
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

I'd go with the shaft seal!

If you need help replacing it, there are posts here or, I can just tell you how to do it (but this is my busy time and it may take a few days)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

for sure a pump seal
    simple fix

I sure could use some help. I can't seem to get part number 8 off to access the pump seal. I have vice grips holding the shaft in place but I can't get it to budge
    TFT-100 Test Kit
    Hayward DE4820 filter
    Caretaker system

Senior Member In the Industry

Disconnect from power.

On back of motor, slide a 7/16's wrench in between the top of the capcitor and in between wires. Use wrench to lock onto shaft by holding it against the shaft and spinning the impeller until it's locked.

Spin impeller counter-clockwise until it's off.

Replace seal.

Reconnect everything in reverse order as above.

okay, got it off. thank god for giant channel locks. no I did something stupid and lost track of which way the springy seal goes. does the flat metal go against the impeler or against the shaft/
    TFT-100 Test Kit
    Hayward DE4820 filter
    Caretaker system

I must have put it back right. Its working like a charm. No more leaking!
    TFT-100 Test Kit
    Hayward DE4820 filter
    Caretaker system

Senior Member In the Industry

The 2 ceramic pieces mate against each other.

Glad you got it back together and it's working great. For future reference. The flat piece goes into the recess in the impeller and the springy part goes against the casing. You should have a white ceramic piece and a black carbon piece.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

nice job