Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just opened-Crystal Clear

1. Back To Top    #1

Just opened-Crystal Clear

First of all I want to thank you all for helping me close my pool last year and all the help I received while learning to do the BBB method last summer! We just pulled off the cover and got the pump running and it was sparkling! Last year we just shocked it and then put the cover so I was very happy to see no algea. It's funny because my husband was told by the pool store that we need to load it with all kinds of chemicals to keep it clear over the winter! I am glad we did not waste $$$.

I still only have the HTH 6 way test but am planning on getting the TFtest kit soon!

FC 0
    pH 7.2
    CYA 0 - it didn't get cloudy at all and i filled the test tube before it could even show me anything
    TA 170

My husband is on his way to the pool store to get stabilizer because I believe we have to get that raised so the chlorine has a chance to work. We are going to add 415 oz bleach to shock since it is so low. Should I add both the stabilizer and bleach at the same time or wait for the CYA level to raise first?

Also by adding the stabilizer, will that reduce my pH? Should I add some borax too keep my pH up?

Thank you!
    Jessi
    20000 IG vinyl liner, Hayward Superpump 1HP, Tagelus Sand Filter
    Pool Clueless!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just opened-Crystal Clear

Yay! I just ordered the TF 100!! Now I am cool like you guys! Can't wait to get it!
    Pool Clueless!

3. Back To Top    #3

Only took you 13 minutes haha.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

The CYA will lower pH, but not by a large amount. Go ahead and add them both at the same time; the CYA will take a few days to dissolve.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Congratulations on ordering your TF100 kit!

I think your pH is fine for now. You can retest everything when you get your new kit!

Yep, I agree w/MITS that you add CYA and bleach at the same time.

Welcome back
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice! I will go add the bleach now. I added the Stabilizer yesterday.
    Pool Clueless!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just got my TF 100 today!! I immediately tested everything, I was so excited. Not sure if I should be so excited though. . . Here are my results:
    FC .5
    CC 10
    TC 10.5 (when I did the yellow test, it was a 2)
    pH 7.8
    TA 230
    CH 260
    CYA <20 We added some stabilizer last week. I think we added about 3 pounds because I wasn't sure how accurate my test was since the pump was just turned on.

What am I supposed to be able to decipher from these results? I am confused about what all the chlorine tests tell me.
    Pool Clueless!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JessiHarri
    Just got my TF 100 today!! I immediately tested everything, I was so excited. Not sure if I should be so excited though. . . Here are my results:
    FC .5
    CC 10
    TC 10.5 (when I did the yellow test, it was a 2)
    pH 7.8
    TA 230
    CH 260
    CYA <20 We added some stabilizer last week. I think we added about 3 pounds because I wasn't sure how accurate my test was since the pump was just turned on.

What am I supposed to be able to decipher from these results? I am confused about what all the chlorine tests tell me.
    I think you may have your CC and FC reversed?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Possible you have some CYA eating algae... you should put some pool water in a bucket and see how much chlorine it takes to bring it to 10ppm and keep it there for an hour.

Hope not tho!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

10. Back To Top    #10

You could also pick up an ammonia test at wally-world and test your ammonia levels... the CYA eater puts ammonia in the water, which eats up the chlorine. This would be another way to see if you have that algae.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

11. Back To Top    #11

Repeat the FC/CC test - take your time, make sure you are doing it properly....
    If you are adding shock levels of chlorine but having little success getting the FC to hold- then yes, you could very well have an ammonia situation on your hands...

Repeat the TA test, and wipe the tip of the R-009 dropper bottle in between each drop with a damp cloth, to reduce static which could be making the TA read high...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, I got the ammonia test strips this morning and it is not showing any ammonia. Last night I added 4 182 oz bottles of bleach and performed the tests before and after.
    Here are my results:
    Before I added the bleach:
    FC 2.5
    CC 9
    TC 11.5
    pH 7.8
    T/A200
    CYA 20

One hour after I added the bleach:
    FC 13.5
    CC 2
    This morning i checked again and got FC of 4.5 so I added 2 more bottles of bleach. An hour after my FC was actually 2 and I tested it twice because I could not believe it was accurate.
    I have since done the ammonia test and bought 8 bottles of bleach. According to poolcalc, I should add 436 oz bleach to get to shock level. If it's not ammonia, could I have mustard algea? The water is very clear but there were a few orangish areas.
    I am sorry, I am so confused! I am going to go burn through these 8 bottles of bleach and await your response!! AHHH Why do I have to have problems already?!!
    Pool Clueless!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JessiHarri
    FC 0
    pH 7.2
    CYA 0 - it didn't get cloudy at all and i filled the test tube before it could even show me anything
    TA 170
    Once things get circulating, I bet the TA comes down and the pH goes up. If the surface of the pool looks smooth, turn a jet up to get some aeration going on.

Stabilize and Chlorinate, and it'll be swim ready long before it's warm enough to use.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Take your time and try to relax a little You are doing just fine. There is a lot to learn, but you don't need to take it all in all at once.

Your CC level is too high. So the correct thing to do is to continue shocking the pool. That means raising the FC level up to between 10 and 15 over and over again until it remains the same overnight and CC is 0.5 or lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School