Can't seem to get it clean enough

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
I am a new pool owner. I normally have my pump running about 12 hrs/day and I vacuum usually at least once a week, keep chemicals balanced, etc. It seems that just when I vacuum it and it looks very nice, I get up in the morning after the pump has been running all night and there is some dirt that has settled to the bottom, usually right in the middle of the pool. What can I do differently that will get all of the dirt up? Thanks.

We get a lot of dirt on our pool but we live on a dirt road and I know where it comes from. If you're sure it's dirt, the best thing you can do is to vacuum more frequently (you didn't want to hear that did you?). If you're not using skimmer socks that will help if you have a sand filter.

P.S. I think you need to update your signature because apparently "not installed yet" is a little out of date. :)

LOL, yea, I need to change that. I was waiting until I get the specs for all my equipment and posting that in my sig as well. I have a sand filter, so I might see about the skimmer sock. I can just use a piece of panty hose attached to the top of the skimmer basket?

I hope to get the Diver Dave vacuum soon, so vacuuming wont be as much of a hassle. I found I can get it from Amazon for about $87 shipped with my discount.

Thanks.!

i kind of was thinking the same thing, Sometimes i think I am just stirring up the dirt and not getting it out... I can vacuum and then look back where i have been to see the dirt has settled on the bottom again... And for the Polaris cleaner, I think the same thing it just keeps it stirred up off the bottom.
just my thought on it.

It is impossible to keep every spec of dirt out 24/7, especially if you have trees or critters in the area. Since the pool is round you probably have 1 or 2 returns pointed to push the water in a circular direction. After running a while a nice current gets going in the pool and dirt that had already dropped below skimmer level will settle on the floor in the center. The circular motion of the water forces everything to the center. Mine does that all the time. If you want to rule out organics in the water run the overnight test. Take a sample after sundown, test it and write down the results. Take another sample around before sunup and run the test again. If you lose more than 1 ppm of chlorine then you will need to shock. If you don't lose more than 1 ppm then it is just dirt that missed the skimmer and has settled to the bottom.

Reactions: charliej
yea, I am sure it is dirt. I just shocked it a few days ago. All levels are good chemically. I did upgrade the pump/filter when I bought the kit this year and it is pretty powerful for the size pool I have. I do have a pretty good current circularly, and it always leaves the dirt right in the middle of the pool. I think I will pick up Diver Dave or Wanda the Whale, can get either of them for around $87, not sure of the difference in them though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.