Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

Any advice, comments from those who shot their pool and then realized they coulda or shoulda done something? On Thursday I intend to install the fiber optic bubblers heads in the sunshelf and the fiber optic accent spouts in the columns. Thanks again and I will take some pictures and maybe some video of the shoot. We shoot the shell on Friday or Saturday.

Umbrella sleeves in Baja steps are always nice, and an overflow line plumbed in for when you get too much rain and can go to the landscape drain is a nice convenience.

Thanks simi; it is my understanding that the shotcrete guys notch the concrete and then the plaster guys put in the umbrella sleeves and then seal is that correct?
As to umbrellas, how many sleeves should be put in and is there any standard pattern for placement (or direction of sun, etc).

As to the overflow line is that just a pipe open into pool and open on other side to drain?

spillmar said:
Thanks simi; it is my understanding that the shotcrete guys notch the concrete and then the plaster guys put in the umbrella sleeves and then seal is that correct?
As to umbrellas, how many sleeves should be put in and is there any standard pattern for placement (or direction of sun, etc).

As to the overflow line is that just a pipe open into pool and open on other side to drain?

Yup, the shotcrete guys make a hole for the sleeve(s) to fit into, and the plasterers install and finish around them. I like the plastic ones (they are actually handicap lift anchors) with the threaded cover that you can put in when the umbrella is not in. Pick a color that will "match" your plaster color and it will blend in pretty good. Don't put the sleeve(s) too close to the edge of the pool or the edge of the umbrella will poke folks in the eye! Try to place them so that they will fit within the coping, and when you do get the umbrella(s), get a metal pole (the wood ones will rot) and get the ones that allow you to adjust the angle for the sun. Put in as many holes as you want, since you can fill them in if you don't use them. Way easier than cutting them in later!

The overflow is usually a 2" pipe (IIRC) and there is a nice fitting that goes over it. You'll want the bottom of it to finish where the top of the waterline will be, and the tile guys can set the grate and trim the tile around it. Just run the pipe "long" and they can cut it flush later. Don't forget to hook it into your landscape drain later!

Thank Bruce for the good advice and info. I have called the plumber to see if he can tell me why it I not there. Regardless I will install before Friday. I intend to record the shotcrete process for posterity sake.

Because I am to attach the extended roof of the future pool house to the columns of the swim up bar, I am going to take a core sample and get a certificate as to the concrete hardness (expected to be 3500+ psi slump). I was told the coat is $250. Base on the experience of the forum is that about right? I am concerned of paying too high for something that seems fairly straightforward. Thanks again.

Most pools do not have overflows; they are just a nice feature to have. Pool plumbers do not typically install them unless asked, as it is not the norm.

Quick question to clarify: The roof for the pool house is not attaching to the pool, is it? If I read your post correctly, it sounds like it is, and that is typically a big no no (unless engineered for it). You may have included this in an earlier post and I missed it, but I need to ask!

I haven't done a core sample in quite a while, so I can't help you there. 3,500 psi shotcrete down here regularly tests out in the high 4,000/low 5,000 range. If that holds for you you should have no problem meeting spec.

Yes the pool was engineered for roof overhanging pool. You can see renderings at the beginning of this topic. thanks for clarifying the overflow and advising its placement. I will have them notch something out just under coping line. Tomorrow is the big day. I am exhausted from today's last minute prep including the installation of the bubblers and the water accents/spuots in the columns above the swim up bar. All the best. I welcome all advice for tomorrow.O

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks. First time I went to bed before 9pm in a long time. Installing the bubblers was a real challenge. I had added a couple pipe for the overflow some additional fiber lighting. I am setting up camera now and ready to finish pulling some fiber before trucks arrive. Ten trucks total from now until 6pm.
Wish us luck :).

Shotcrete is finally done !!!! The pool is looking really good. I am posting some pictues after this post. I hope you like them.

As to the work of the shotcrete team. The guys from Pacific Star Shotcrete (owned by Danny de La Torre, a really fine chap) came a little before 6:30 AM and left slightly after 8 PM. They worked like machines, taking only 30 minute break for lunch. After the guys finished up they were very diligent in their cleanup and not a drop of concrete was left on the street.

It is amazing what these guys can do with concrete. The circles of the baja shelf and spa were as round as one could wish; all of the bond beams were finished level within an 1/4 of a inch by using a laser. I could tell these guys had experience. In the end I was most pleased and unfortunately much more motivated than even before to finish the pool and take a swim. Oh, only if my wallet was not so empty.

The most challenging part was working around a couple problems with the plumbing, but nothing major. Rebar was spot on and made for fairly easy sailing. By being on site all day, I was able to make various improvements here and there, which I would not have caught had I not been inspecting the work myself. There is only so much you can imagine in a plan.

The swim up bar came out pretty close to what I wanted. The columns came out sheer and straight. I changed up the spa a bit. I added three seating heights instead of one and added steps on each side near the spill over to make it easier to enter and exit.

Below are some pictures of various stages of the shotcrete. Tomorrow I will send some of the finished product. Best regards and thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• 364 small.jpg
    364 small.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 365 small.jpg
    365 small.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 368 small.jpg
    368 small.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 390

A few more pictures. That's my youngest daughter Alyson sitting on the baja shelf. You can guess what she's daydreaming about. all night she was asking "when can we fill her with water" huh, huh, dad, huh, huh". It reminds us what we work hard for......

Attachments

• 371 small.jpg
    371 small.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 391
  • 370 small.jpg
    370 small.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 394
  • 378 small.jpg
    378 small.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 396

Thanks Lershac. It looks pretty massive after shotcret, much more so than when it was a cage. Although I am now questioning why I needed such a large pool, I remind myself that there are few people who say I wish my pool was smaller. I think the fill will cost about $400 just for the water though. It is raining today which means I do not have to wet the concrete to keep cracks at bay. Bad news I cannot take more pictures. Tomorrow should be sunny and I will post bin between football games.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.