Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming - Two Years Closer

Beautiful back and side yard. The pool is absolutely magnificent. The firebowls are a nice touch. The circular insets in your pavers tie in with the circular platform, steps and fountain. Your pool also seems to have circular features in the design. The LED TV is a knockout... wish I lived closer ;)

Can't wait to see your cook area. :cheers:

Thank you Blowout for the kind complements.

Yes there are alot of circular patterns throughout the pool design. In fact the entry shelf, deep end, spa, pool deck, raised patio are all rounded.

I will try to post several pictures of the cook area. Last week I purchased a stainless steel teppan-yaki griddle from a restaurant equipment dealer which will be set on top of a rolling stainless steel prep table/counter fridge. For a recent party, I rolled out the griddle and prep table/fridge and prepared some shrimp, scallops and some veggies.

Once I put in the pool house my intent is to install the griddle in an island. For now on the rolling prep/fridge unit, it's like a portable kitchen.

Thanks again.

Yo Spills, where's the aerial shots. Don't you have a hill or some high ground around your pool? You've proven to be as resourceful as they come. Can't you figure something out?

Clipboard01.jpg

Wow, I think I started reading this thread over 2 hours ago.. What an amazing design! I have to ask... what did your HOA president say about the volleyball court and putting green?

Kind of an expensive way to get out of mowing! :lol:

imrodee said:
Wow, I think I started reading this thread over 2 hours ago.. What an amazing design! I have to ask... what did your HOA president say about the volleyball court and putting green?

Kind of an expensive way to get out of mowing! :lol:

What would the hoa say but "awesome". It's all in the back yard, around here the hoa's authority typically ends at the fence.

Good deal.. !!

They are IN our yard actually. They had to approve the shop and the pool. I kind of like the HOA - to an extent. They keep everybody on their toes. Since we live 100 feet out of city limits, it keeps a little bit of order.

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

spillmar said:
Some of the forum members have emailed me asking me cost of build. Including the pool, fiber optic lighting, equipment, pavers, side couryard, and 150 ft retaining wall, we will be coming well under $70K. Not too bad considering the pool itself was quoted near $100k by PB in the area. So far it has been an enjoyable experience. Time to build has been basically dictated by funding. If money guru Dave Ramsey knew what I was up to exhausting my savings, he'd whip my behind, LOL.

I am only this far on your thread....but this cracked me up referring to Dave!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks all for the kind compliments.

Well it's been a while since I had anytime to revisit the post here. Anyways the pool has been holding up, so my work has been up to snuff, I guess. No cracks in the plaster; no real equipment issues to date. No explosions in any my gas line work. So all in all still quite happy with the owner build path.

I am very much looking forward to the pool opening. I also hope my hard work at the office will pay off so that I can start the pool house and finish the retainer wall on the other slope of the property.

One funny thing did happen however; the county inspector came by and reminded me with the threat of a fine that I never got my final, final sign-off. Anyway more of a formality than anything.

If anyone needs tips or referrals in socal let me know (just not on permitting lol). My knowledge is limited but I am happy to share the lessons I did learn - all the best and thanks again to the TFP community.

Here is a cute pic of one of my spunky little gals who thinks my sand trap is her private beach. This was taken this week, so my apologies to all my brethren in the northeast. One thing is for sure, you can't knock SoCal weather - the rest I could live without.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 1,004
Well, its an early spring here in California. We heated up the pool this holiday weekend and went swimming. My apologies to our brethren out there that are still digging themselves out of the snow. I'll try not ot rub it in.

Anyway, what comes with the territory here is Socal with the advent of an early spring, is a lot of projects. Even with all the work I still have to finish many details from my original plan that still remain incomplete. With alot of work related travel scheduled over the next few months, I am not sure when I will get to it.

As to the specifics, I still have to finish the in-deck cooler, the 6' firepit, a little more tweaks in the grill area, lighting, and continue the retainer wall around the property. There are also a few repairs to do, a couple ledger stones fell off near the swim up bar, some small cracks in the poured coping around the spa needing treatment (any advice? expoxy?) and fix some of the landscape lighting around the pool.

I don't think any of the above is interesting like the pool build itself, so I won't bore the board too much with this. All the best and thanks again to TFP community.

spillmar said:
Almost forgot - for my friends here that keep asking for an aerial shot - well with the help of the google folks - yeggim, ahem - here ya go. :p
:-D :-D Thank you sir. Still waitin for the James Cameron submersible type shots. :p :p

Thanks for the kind comment. I have since added a retaining wall to the rear of the property and an awning covering the swim up bar grill. I hope by end of year we will be able to start our pool house build. One thing I have learned is this type of project can be never ending. My posting objective is not to show so much what I have done but to inspire OBs to go for it - just like others on this great forum have inspired me. All the best - and happy swimming!!

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

spillmar said:
Thanks Izuggy for the complement. My two girls can't wait either. Appreciate the response Whoozer, hopefully I can post more pictures as it advances.

I am in the process of scheduling the plumbing, electrical, rebar and shotcrete. There are so many experienced and hard working folks out there right now looking for work, that it makes me sympathize with their plight. My feeling is that if there was more liberal credit available for pool construction they would all be busy.

In the meantime, for the owner builder it seems the right time to build and manage one's own project. Aside from rebar, most materials and service costs are the lowest they have been in sometime. In addition there is a alot of liquidation activity of materials and products out there. At this juncture it looks without the pool house I will come in under $40K including the cost of a side courtyard.

I live in the Inland Empire too. I would love to find out what subs you used and if you would use them again. Would you be willing to share that info with me?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.