Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

spillmar said:
Is it worth the expense to ship in water?

Hehe...Id be wondering too. I bet its high out in Cali...it sure is here. Youve spent so much now...who'd notice? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be patient...and dumb as it sounds would love to see some fill pics. Also wondering how long the kids will last before getting in during the fill?

::epds::

Actually I had forgotten that the autofill was piped into my 1.5" irrigation main feed. I turned it on and lots o' pressure baby !!! As of this evening, the spa is full and the pool is almost 1/3 full. Tomorrow the pool should be full and ready for startup. Any suggestions as to strating up Hydrazzo?

The plaster finish which was a custom combination of three colors I mixed myself came out quite beautiful, almost like a dark teal. After the plaster guys finished up and left around 4 pm, I took one of the diamond polishing pads that was left over and went inch by inch addressing rough spots and any blotches. Got most of them over the last 6 hours such that the pool looks a huge slab of terrazo.

I did get in the pool waist deep without any problem; the plasterer told me I could walk on the interior with Hydrazzo because it cured a good deal over night and hardens before polishing. According to him it is not as sensitive to damage from walking on before break-in as regular fresh plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks Nightmare. Water in the county has a 50% surcharge and because we are already at the highest tier status due to their to lawn irrigation needs, it's going to cost more like $380. Water Co said it would only be $240 if I waited to fill until after September. I said what! You want me to wait! No thanks - q
Small price to pay in the scheme of things.

Spillmar - Your pool looks great! I can't wait to see the finished pics. What I like the most about your pool is the extras you put into it. I have seen a lot really nice pools, but what in my opinion makes your pool stand out are all of the extra features. To me nothing is better then when a pool is lit up at night with all of the lighting features. With all of your extra pool lighting it will stand out and you and your guest will enjoy it. Keep posting pics and once full post some night time pics too!

Flippy

Thanks Flippy for the kind words. Over the course of this build, the one thing I kept faithful to was to put into my pool build those key special features I wanted (i.e waterfalls, swim up bar, paver deck, raised spa, light accents, laminars, bubblers, glass tile, VF pumps, etc.) and if I could not afford them, I did not give up but bided my time in order to find closeouts, liquidations, etc. to make sure I got them included. At the end, I did not feel like I had to give up too much, at least not those items that give the pool character and a mark of my own. I am excited for our first party coming up; sadly for the kids its an end of summer party.

Okay pool is just about filled. I cannot believe it as it finally dawned on me that we are pretty much done. :party:

Next thing will be for me to learn how to take care of a pool, buy some cleaning tools and chemicals. No time to rest however, although a swim is in order. I still have to finish the swim up bar counter, the sunken patio/grill area, the fire bowls and the fire pit and then on to the retaining wall and the side courtyard with the fountain.

BTW I will have to revise my signature as the pool is about 45k gallons.

If you look below, the color of the water appears to change as the sun rises. The first and second photos are from around 7 AM and the last is from 10:30 AM. I will post a photo of the completely filled pool later today or tomorrow.

Attachments

• Pool Shot 1.JPG
    Pool Shot 1.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 385
  • Pool Shot 3.JPG
    Pool Shot 3.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 384
  • Pool Shot 2.JPG
    Pool Shot 2.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 383

That is fantastic, congratulations! I think you deserve a few days of swimming without any further work. What you've accomplished is astonishing, and we need more pictures (obviously :-D )

Spillmar... you have tested and added bleach and CYA, right? I'd hate to see that gorgeous pool turn the slightest bit green, ever!

If you need help with water chemistry at all, you've got a bazillion of us out here standing by for you :~}

you have tested and added bleach and CYA

I don't think you add CYA for 30 days. At least not on a pebble pool.

I know you pool is over 35k or whatever you had before. What we (you and I) should have done was look at the reading on the meter before the fill. I just thought of that.

We can't totally go by the count on the bill because they used some water for the plaster, concrete and anything else you built last month.

Thanks Nightmare, the final meter reading taken yesterday shows 45K gallons, spa is also quite large.

I have added nothing yet to the pool. I will be brushing it today and testing the water tomorrow. Is there a kit and some guidance on how to perform pool chemistry myself. I definitely need help or alternatively I can hire a pro and gleen off of him/her over time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.