Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

This weekend I purchased a 9ft gate and installed it to close off the rear entrance to the property. I should now be compliant with code in order to move forward with plaster and fill.

I also noticed that I have a serious gopher infestation on the property and they have started to tunnel toward our plants most likely to eat the roots. Any thoughts on how to get rid off these buggers?

Anyway, a Happy July 4th to all !! :cheers:

Pool build is on again!
I expect to finish by end of this month.
This weekend I finished the install of the ornamental iron gate at the entry where the construction crews access the rear of the property. I also am working on some landscaping.
Plumbing, electrical, tile and some deck work all scheduled over next two weeks with plaster and fill end of month.
Hope all are well and enjoying summer. :cheers:

Thanks for the thumbs up Carl.

We planted our first plants (giants birds of paradise) around the raised spa area. These plants should grow to about 10 ft tall and give a little bit of privacy and shade. I also ran some irrigation lines. Tough work digging dirches considering it was a scorching day.

All the best.

spillmar said:
This last weekend, in preparation of plastering the pool and to meet code, I put up the ornamental iron pool fence. The fence which consists of 12 Fortress Versai panels and one arched gate runs from the corner of the house around the curved portion of the patio closest to the house and then up the sloped hill and fastened to the property's back wall, effectively closing off the entire back portion of our lot to entry. It looks pretty good. I originally feared that by not using curved panels the fence would look odd going around the curved portion of the deck but in the end it looks fine. The trickiest part of the install was getting all the panels to properly transition with the change in grade. The most labor intensive aspect of the install - driving the 12 x 30" metal Oz-Post spikes into the hard dry ground. In a previous post, I stated that I was going to put up some stone faced columns to connect the panels, but decided that it would block the view too much and would be difficult later to demolish when it comes time to remove the fence.

My wife and I used the OZ post on our fence. We put up 460 feet of delgard aluminum fence around our pool. I love that post system. It was nice. The only problem we have is that it is REAL rocky where we live. I had to cut some of the posts down and use concrete. We drove a total of 57 posts. The whole fence project took us 6 days. Have fun. Good luck!

Thanks Nick.

I drove about 12 OzPosts without any real problem. The ground was a bit rocky but not as much yours I assume. There is a picture of the fence earlier in this thread. Here is another below.

I drove each spiked post sleeve in about 10 minutes with a sledge hammer. I used a 1 ft section of 2" steel gas pipe as the driver. Whatever steel they use on the OzPost is super strong.

Keep in mind one of the reasons I went this route was that I wanted to remove the fence in the future when kids got older and did not want to pour concrete. All in all works very well and perfect for my plan.

Attachments

• IMG_1294.JPG
    IMG_1294.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 501

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well its full speed ahead now. I have the plumbing and electrical scheduled this Friday; tile on Saturday; and the swim up counter frame and pour on Tuesday; the rock work next week and then plaster the week after. Looks like a fill-er-up around 7/28. My girls (and daddy) are excited that they will swim this summer. Wish us luck in the final stretch.

Oh my... I finally read all this and holy cow... what an amazing build.

Insanely jealous. Not only do I not have enough property, money, or ability to do such a thing... it would be wasted in a climate such as the one I live in.

I live vicariously through you now Carl... and am anxiously awaiting your completion so I can see how pretty it is. Very nice, you should be proud of it forever.

Mind if I look you up next time I'm in CA?? I'll bring a couple obnoxious boys and one cute girly girl to play Marco Polo with your girls :~} (yes, my kids actually play Marco Polo in the pool... so quaint lol)

spillmar said:
Thanks Frogabog. Appreciate the kind comments and yes please PM me next time you're in the area. Best regards.

Oh now you're in trouble... I'm SO doing that. :~}

I WAS kidding... now I'm serious. You can't call me a stalker cuz you invited me in a public forum and I'll win the court case!

muuuuhhhhahahaaaaaaa!

I'm feeling as anxious as your kids to see your pool finished. It is simply gorgeous. I'll be showing our PB your pool for sure! It has so many of the elements that I'm looking for. Thank you for being so creative so that the noncreative people (like myself) can see what we like! I'm not a visionary, so it really helps me to see the plans as an actual build. Awesome job !!

Over the last few days we completed all the ledger stone work around the pool. It looks so much better even though the installation of all of the stone will exceed what I had budgeted by about 20%. I originally thought that buying pieces versus panels would save me money, but at the end of the day all the discount on the material was lost with having to pay more labor expense.

The plumber and electrician also came out today to hook up all the equipment listed below in my signature. It is quite alot of equipment at the pad. I added an 10x extension system which with the i9 should handle most if not all my automization needs.

Lastly, over the weekend I built my own firebowls incorporating my own burner made of carefully assembled black pipe, a honeywell 8610u ignitor controller and various Asco solenoid valves modeled after the Grand Effects firebowls. Difference is mine comes to $400 a piece in material versus $2000 each for retail. I will share this another thread if I do not blow myself up that is.

Thanks. I will see about posting some photos soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.