Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

Today I had Max/Javier (Yoda of Steel), our rebar crew come back to build the steel structure/support for the two exterior columns that in conjunction with the columns in the swim up bar will hold up the cantilevered roof extending from the future pool house. They also rebarr-ed the retaining wall to the sunken patio behind the swim up bar (what an amazing configuration - sometimes I thing structural engineers are nuts. Lastly, I had him make me a small pit/pad under the grade of the sunken patio which will house the sump pump box. I will post some pictures tomorrow. The last few days have been quite a task but the progress is not only tangible but fairly exciting.

I did want to see in addition to my prior post, if someone could help me with some insight/advise. I need to pour a 2 ft x 2ft column around the column's steel rebar cage (8 x size 5 rebar if you can believe it). I am planning to construct a mold/box out of wood 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. The 2 x 4's will serve as horizontal braces (top middle and bottom of box). They will be joined at the corner with metal brackets. I am wondering if amy has experience with concrete molds and if this configuration should hold as the concrete cures. Total cost of the materials to build the molds will be about $50. Any thoughts?

I passed my inspection today for the steel and footings of the swim up bar retaining wall and the load bearing columns outside of the pool. I am now lookng for coping installers and finishers.

Thanks Simi for the advse; the prce was a bit high so I went ahead and ordered a custom mold from Foam Concepts in Anaheim for only $.35 per LF. It will take a little extra prep but not much more than the boxed Stegmeier form. Keep in mind that I have about 550 LF of coping including pool edge, outside band, steps, columns, counter top and steps/caps. At the end of the day the foam cost me a little over $200 with tax.

Below is a drawing of the coping I designed for my pool and hardscape.

Attachments

• Coping Shape.jpg
    Coping Shape.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 555

I am so sore....I worked most of the weekend on the pool. I brought in a couple concrete coping form setters on Saturday. After learning how its done, I continued to set the coping foam form liner purchased from Foam Concepts in Anaheim myself around the pool as well on the outside band.

Thankfully, I was able to find the special "twist break" wire ties needed to hold forms firm against the bond beam. These break the wire two inches inside the concrete so that in the future you are not looking at rust stains. It is worth noting that the twist wire ties are one of the few benefits of getting the more expensive Steigmeier forms. A local materials store, La Cadena of Colton and Resource Materials out of Chino both carry the wire ties (the former however for 1/2 the price as the other). The cost for Steigmer "boxed" forms would have been around $1K and the form styles are limited. On the other hand, my custom foam and 200 ties and 200 screws with washers came out to around $340, or about 1/3 of the price.

The hardest thing I dealt with so far on the coping was trying to figure out how to set the forms for the exterior band. I will post these pictures tomorrow or the next day. Basically, I had to screw the forms into bender board and then screw the bender board (with foam attached) to the stakes. It came out well however turns with tight radii are very tricky and problematic.

Coming this week, I wanted to pour the coping this Wednesday, however I have not been able to find enough finishers. I am in need of 8 finishers to come in and handle the pour and finish of almost 500 linear feet of poured in place cement. I was told it will most likely rain Wednesday through Saturday this week, so I am rushing to get some poured concrete deliverd to finish at least the footers, otherwise it may be likely with teh rain we will have to remove the steel reinforcement structures, and possibly clean out re-dig the footer trenches.

Below are some of the pictures I promised. You will see a few pictures of steps we made out of block which will be the steps up to the raised spa area from either side. The step riser will be also poured coping just like the pool coping.

I also wanted to share a picture of the massive steel structure used in the steel columns on the side of the pool, which together with the two columns at the swim bar will hold the cantilevered roof coming from our future pool house. I also included one picture of the new support for the swim up counter which is now much more workable and at the right height. I also included a photo of the footer and steel for the sunken patio retaining wall.

Thanks for all the help and advise to the whole TFP commumity.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 530

The wire used on the forms is appears to be aluminum, so it shouldn't rust. My guys used a heat gun to bend some of the curves. They also cut grooves in the "back" side of the forms for the tightest turns. They also used the heat gun to warm up the adhesive tape, so it would stick to the tiles better.

I'll delete the photo if you don't want it in here.

Attachments

• Form.JPG
    Form.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 525

Well we got the pool exterior columns and sunken patio retaining wall poured today just in time before the rain. While the truck and pump was here I also poured the equipment pad (15' x 4.5') filled in some block and poured a support base for our Henri water fountain near the house's planned side patio.. I finally found a cement crew that works pretty well.

Well I bit the bullet and with mother nature's cooperation we are pouring one of the coping bands today, that of the pool bond beam. A total of 250 feet. The exterior coping band will have to wait until March. The columns and the equipment pad came out very well. With the cool days I am hoping the coping pour goes well. My wife chose a peach color for the coping. I hope it's not too orange. Anyway I will post some pictures. We will have a crew of a total of 7 working the pour with 5 finishers. I will post pictures when I have more time.

The coping went well considering the detail of the edge and the 220 linear feet that was poured. With the crew I hired which had good skill and pride in their work there was little loss of detail on the edge. They came the next day and made some cuts for control cracking in the joints. All in all it worked out very well as we had a nice break in the rain during the pour followed by 3 days of rain which help keep the concrete cooler during curing. I will post some pictures soon. As to cost I was able to save about $2k during this phase with savings in materials and labor.

Below are various pictures from the pool coping phase. Another band of coping on the exterior of the pool, which will serve as a border for the paver stone pool deck, will be installed next month when we finish the pool deck. At present the crew is working on the ledger stone installation on the raised bond beam as well as the columns and ballister wall of the stairs going to the raised spa.

Attachments

• IMG_0985_small.jpg
    IMG_0985_small.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0983 small.jpg
    IMG_0983 small.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0959 small.jpg
    IMG_0959 small.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 374

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Spillmar this thread is superb! Enjoyable reading to say the least . What a job you have done to run this build by yourself, muchos impressive :)
I vote for what MITS said! More pics please...

Preparation for the coping for the exterior band which goes around the pool paver deck, forms the stair risers/steps and caps the the raised spa wall is proceeding nicely. As you can see in the background of some of the photos the poured columns have come out nicely and now we are working on some of the hardscape. The goal is to complete everything with exception to the paver deck which I will do my self to save $2K-3K in labor cost, so we can fill the pool. Thanks for your continued interest and the kind remarks and compelements.

Attachments

• ultimas fotos 006.JPG
    ultimas fotos 006.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 320
  • ultimas fotos 005.JPG
    ultimas fotos 005.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 317
  • ultimas fotos 004.JPG
    ultimas fotos 004.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 320

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.