Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mechanics of CYA interaction with chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Mechanics of CYA interaction with chlorine

From the information I've gleaned from this forum and a little logical assumption, I understand the basics of the interactions between CYA and chlorine, but I'd like to go deeper.

Basically, CYA bound to chlorine protects it and the possibly the chlorine below it from UV light. But as a chlorine molecule is rendered somewhat inert when it is bound to CYA, how does it kill algae? I read in a post about very high chlorine levels that if the FC level gets low the cya-bound chlorine will continue to kill algae. Water problems with this scenario aside, I surmised that this meant that the chlorine bound to CYA is not completely inert, just slower to the party than free chlorine, and only starts working when it's speedy cousin is no longer in the race. Am I correct?

Secondly, how many CYA molecules does it take bind to a chlorine atom? I suppose I could do the math based on the chart, but I am not sure that relationship is linear.

Thanks!
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mechanics of CYA interaction with chlorine

These questions are best asked in The Deep End. There actually is a topic there right now that covers many of the things you are asking.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Mechanics of CYA interaction with chlorine

Thanks Jason! For some reason I thought I was posting (and searching) in the deep end. In the thread you linked, chem geek references and older post of his here that is exactly what I was seeking.

Thanks again!
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.