Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Major Help Needed - first time opener - major leaks!!!!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Major Help Needed - first time opener - major leaks!!!!!!!!

Hi all,
    This is my second year with a pool and my first time opening. I've had some troubles so far. I cracked my hayward sand filter cap when trying to tighten a leak. Now I realize that I need to grease the new cap when I put it on.... So that's leaking....

Now the big trouble, I have an aquacal heatpump and I just looked at it and it's spraying water from 3 or 4 places. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Do I need a new heat exchanger? Could I have done this while priming the pump? Any ideas on how to by pass the heat pump for now, I guess, reroute the water for now with some pipes.... I really dont feel comfortable cutting the pipe near the exchanger....

I also replace an autopilot ls1000 with a dig-220 today and that worked OK... I tried reusing the manifold from the ls1000 and it leaked a bit but I got it sealed for now.... I dont know if that will start leaking once the system is fully pressurized after the filter cap and heat exchange problems are corrected.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    =========================
    t6pool

16x32 inground
    dig-220 swg
    aquacal heatpump
    hayward superpump
    hayward sandfilter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Major Help Needed - first time opener - major leaks!!!!!!!!

I would suggest using a teflon thread sealing PASTE, for all treaded connections it will seal them up nice. If you have leaks at the PVC joints though you need to replace the whole joint and be sure to use a pvc cleaner , followed up by a primer and finally pvc cement.
    A nice tip for manafolds is to dry fit everything first and before taking apart use a sharpie to mark a line on each joint so that when its apart you have half the line on each piece. During glue up simply align the marks for perfect alignment every time.
    As far as the heater goes I cant really say. did it freeze over the winter? Hope this helps you and welcome to TFP
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks coleb! I'll try the paste on the threaded connections.

As far as the heat pump goes, The pool guys drained it last year on closing so I'm not sure how it could have frozen internally. We had a really really rough winter here in Pittsburgh with a ton of snow and cold temps so I'm wondering if the unit still froze... or maybe it was just on it's way out.... I replace a leaking plastic thermocouple well in it last year so who knows.....Does anyone know if you get pool people or hvac people to replace a heat exhanger in a heat pump? Anybody have a rough idea of cost on this? Should I get someone to install a bypass valve for now?

Thanks in advance!
    t6pool

16x32 inground
    dig-220 swg
    aquacal heatpump
    hayward superpump
    hayward sandfilter

4. Back To Top    #4

It maybe that they did not clear the lines of all water, I too live in the Pittsburgh area with a heat pump, I leave my drains open through the winter.
    You should be able to cut in some kind of bypass, can you post a picture of the setup?
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, improper winterization and a freeze break. Repair techs came today and installed the new heat exchanger. I'm up and running now, no leaks, going to shock this evening. I guess they didnt get all of the water out of the exchanger when they closed it.

Thanks

p.s.
    nice it see another Pittsburgher on the forum
    t6pool

16x32 inground
    dig-220 swg
    aquacal heatpump
    hayward superpump
    hayward sandfilter

6. Back To Top    #6

Glad you got it taken care of! Yes likewise, nice to see another person from the burgh, we are north near Cranberry.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by t6pool
    Yup, improper winterization and a freeze break. Repair techs came today and installed the new heat exchanger.
    I hope you didn't have to pay for that! Whoever you paid to winterize it should cover their shoddy work.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm trying to work that out now....I contacted them but they have not responded yet .. I'm amazed that I haven't received anything back from them yet.
    t6pool

16x32 inground
    dig-220 swg
    aquacal heatpump
    hayward superpump
    hayward sandfilter

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not amazed. They'll probably ignore you and hope you go away.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden