Acic, acid and more acid!

caljw

Mar 27, 2010
San Diego
Please tell me if this is normal.....

Pool re-plastered two months ago and since then I must have added at least 8 gallons of MA to keep pH in check....trying to get it down to 7.2 so I can get the TA down too.....
Seems like lots of MA, just looking for reassurance that using this much is normal with new plaster.
I have been adding a quart at a time, wondering if I should give it a bigger blast?

FC 3.5
CC 0
pH 7.7
TA 100
CH 260
CYA 50
Borate 80

That is all normal. Fresh plaster raises the PH rapidly for the first three or four weeks, and then much more slowly for about the first year.

On how much acid to add at at one time, your goal should be to lower the PH to 7.2 each time you add acid, however much muriatic acid that takes. You can use the Pool Calculator to get the approximate amount of acid that will take, and then you should double check by measuring the PH about 1/2 an hour after adding acid to see how close to 7.2 you got and adjusting how much you use the next time based on how far off you were.

caljw said:
Great thanks guys....will keep on keeping on with the MA.
I know how you feel :( Sometimes there seems like no end to adding MA! We re-plastered in '07.

MA, brush, MA, brush, MA, brush, MA, brush :shock: ..........

But, as they said, it will slow down and you will be hunky-dory with your new plaster :-D

caljw said:
Hey waste.....think I was at the same concert! :wink:

BTW the water looks incredible thanks to the help of this site.

See, that's what this site is all about. :-D The FIRST priority is keeping pools Trouble Free -- the second is to share the entire 'experience of pools/ yard/ BBQ"' and still be able to interact with folks who share similar interests, not pool related :cool:

My first show was 03/ 26 (?)/ 85 - but I'd been listening to my brother's bootleg tapes for years before :party: :whoot: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.