Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acic, acid and more acid!

1. Back To Top    #1

Acic, acid and more acid!

Please tell me if this is normal.....

Pool re-plastered two months ago and since then I must have added at least 8 gallons of MA to keep pH in check....trying to get it down to 7.2 so I can get the TA down too.....
    Seems like lots of MA, just looking for reassurance that using this much is normal with new plaster.
    I have been adding a quart at a time, wondering if I should give it a bigger blast?

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.7
    TA 100
    CH 260
    CYA 50
    Borate 80

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acic, acid and more acid!

Yes, it is very normal.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

That is all normal. Fresh plaster raises the PH rapidly for the first three or four weeks, and then much more slowly for about the first year.

On how much acid to add at at one time, your goal should be to lower the PH to 7.2 each time you add acid, however much muriatic acid that takes. You can use the Pool Calculator to get the approximate amount of acid that will take, and then you should double check by measuring the PH about 1/2 an hour after adding acid to see how close to 7.2 you got and adjusting how much you use the next time based on how far off you were.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Great thanks guys....will keep on keeping on with the MA.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by caljw
    Great thanks guys....will keep on keeping on with the MA.
    I know how you feel Sometimes there seems like no end to adding MA! We re-plastered in '07.

MA, brush, MA, brush, MA, brush, MA, brush ..........

But, as they said, it will slow down and you will be hunky-dory with your new plaster
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The borates will cause you to use a lot of acid, but the pool calculator takes that into account, so you should be fine.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!!

You've gotten the right answers

(however, I thought this post would be about my first Dead show )

Stick with us and we'll keep you trouble free throughout your pool owning experience
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey waste.....think I was at the same concert!

BTW the water looks incredible thanks to the help of this site.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by caljw
    Hey waste.....think I was at the same concert!

BTW the water looks incredible thanks to the help of this site.
    See, that's what this site is all about. The FIRST priority is keeping pools Trouble Free -- the second is to share the entire 'experience of pools/ yard/ BBQ"' and still be able to interact with folks who share similar interests, not pool related

My first show was 03/ 26 (?)/ 85 - but I'd been listening to my brother's bootleg tapes for years before
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)