Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How quickly do SWG's generate chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

How quickly do SWG's generate chlorine?

I am curious as to how much chlorine my SWG (My Blue Pool) can create on it's highest setting. I looked through the entire manual and could not find anything about the output of the generator. The reason I ask is that my FC is 1.0 and I want to raise it to 4.0 and want to know how long that would take. I suppose I could just turn it on and take measurements and then turn it down when it gets to the desired FC ppm, but I'm thinking there must be some formula out there.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How quickly do SWG's generate chlorine?

Too many variables to calculate. How much sun your pool gets, CYA level, generator size, pool volume, salt level, bather load, existing algae among other things.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If you take the lbs/day output of a system, that is based on 24 hrs @100% output.
    For instance, my SC-60 cell produces 1.92 lbs/day or 0.08 lbs/hr (1.28 oz/hr) at maximum output.

You need 1.3 oz to increase 1 ppm in 10,000 gallons (taken from typical chemical dosage charts, also used in the CPO training manual).

THEREFORE, and this is all theoretically as the other variables pointed out by John will affect this, you will need approximately 4 oz to increase 1 ppm in your pool (using 30,000 gallons because it's easier for me to calculate). So 4 ppm = 16 oz.

What is the output of the salt system you're using?
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4

The problem is he doesn't know what his output is. My IC40 would take about 12 hrs to go from 1 to 4 ppm, and your SWCG would take only 9 hrs. So if he has a SWCG that has an output similiar to ours, 1.4 to 1.9 lbs/day, then it will take about half a day give or take a couple of hours.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

5. Back To Top    #5

The My Blue Pool units appear to be rebranded Resilience units. They make three models: 0.75 lbs/day, 1.38 lbs/day, and 2.07 lbs/day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB4me
    The problem is he doesn't know what his output is.
    Exactly......I need to find that out somehow. I couldn't find anything in the manual.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The My Blue Pool units appear to be rebranded Resilience units. They make three models: 0.75 lbs/day, 1.38 lbs/day, and 2.07 lbs/day.
    Awesome! I'll follow this lead. Maybe they have some better documentation.

8. Back To Top    #8

Why would you want to burn hours on your SWG when you can just add bleach and get immediate results?
    19,000 gal gunite/plaster in-ground pool w/spa, built May 2007
    Pentair Intelliflo VF pump
    Pentair CCP420 cartridge filtration
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40
    UltraPure UPP50 ozonator
    Intellitouch control system