Drainage ditch, a worthy addition? or a waste of time?

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
My current AGP is still covered (just a little longer :) ) so right now the only draining is from the cover after a rain storm. But when I do hook things up, the discharge is going to do the same thing... empty on the lawn.

This is my first year with the pool (and house) so I don't know how big an issue it is. But here is my thought.

Why not dig a whole (maybe 4' deep by 3' wide) fill it mostly with stone, run a pipe to it from the pump area and cover it with dirt. Then when I drain, it will go underground and not make my lawn a water trap.

What are your thoughts?

If the water will flow off the surface of your yard, let it do so. If it will not drain naturally on the surface, then I would suggest a hose or something to carry it away to a place where it will drain.

I would not consider storing it underground like you are indicating unless there is no other way to get rid of it.

depending on your type of soil, that may not work. Consider piping the whole thing to a natural drainage area or using a holding type system to slow the flow onto your yard. We put in a small dry creek bed with stones to carry water to the drainage channel

Or, you could extend the drain hose to your sewer clean out in your yard. My pool actaully has a drain line that is plumbed into the sewer clean out. I can route water there by turning a valve.

Sewer clean out is in front of the house, pool is behind. And the backyard slopes away from the house. It's not a big deal, but I thought it would be cleaner to have a kind of 'septic' solution, like some folks do with their rain gutters, putting the drains under ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.