Installing solar heater panels

looper

May 6, 2010
So I just purchased 2 2'x20' SunGrabber panels for my 24' AG pool. I would like to build a rack and put them next to the pool. Distance between pool/filter and the location of the heater is around 20', and I am running a 2-speed Hayward Turbo-Flo II pump.
  • I found some basic rack designs, but if there is a popular/favorite design out there, would love to see it.[/*:m:14y719ev]
  • Is there anything I should keep in mind when building this rack?[/*:m:14y719ev]
  • Looking for a good source for the PVC flex hose (1.5"). Local store wants $2/foot, most online places have it much cheaper, but would love to buy from a store which has a good reputation.[/*:m:14y719ev]
  • I was going to use Tiger Flex 1.5", since that's what my installer used to hook up the pump, but are there any other options which are just as good?[/*:m:14y719ev]
  • Can I get away with running the pump at low speed, since the system is so close to the pool, and doesn't have to pump to the roof?[/*:m:14y719ev]

I did search the forums for a while, but didn't find what I was looking for, hopefully you won't mind answering these basic questions ;)

There is a good recent thread on a rack the a poster built. I can't find it right now but looked pretty good.
Just keep in mind what the panels and plumbing will weigh full of water. Also keep in mind that the panels should drain when shut off.
Can't help you there. I'm a rigid pipe man. :)
Of course, rigid, but I'm kinda biased.
Running on low will most probably work since you won't need a lot of head to prime the panels.

Looper...welcome to TFP...not sure where you are located...I am in the NE and have the same size pool. Last year we ran a 4x20 panel and it did help, but I decided to add one more this year as the one did help raise the temps somewhat, but really could not keep up trying to extend our season. If your looking to get +5deg in the summer with what you have, I would advise using a solar cover as well at night to retain heat, but to extend the season in a cooler climate, you may want to add another 1 o 2 2x20's

4x20 solar bear panel is borderline for a 24ft pool, but if you are in a warmer climate it may be just fine.

Thanks for the welcome!

I do like the idea of using pipe instead, but not sure if it would look as nice. I haven't seen a ground mounted install yet, using rigid pipe. When you say shut off, do you mean done for the season? I am also installing a diverter valve, and wasn't planning on draining them until I winterize everything.

dmanb2b: I'm in Central NY, so the weather is about the same here. I do like the idea of an additional panel, but wanted to test the waters first ;) Will have to keep that in mind when locating/building the rack tho. Did you install yours on your roof? As for the solar cover, I am already using one, so I think I am set there, but definitely a must have in this climate!

We have a 18'x33' and use 2 of the 4x20 panels - last summer even that was not enough with cool evenings and we do use a solar cover anytime the pool is not in use so heat loss is minimized. I agree, unless you have consistantly warm weather all summer long, including evenings, you may have a hard time keeping the pool warm enough for most people's comfort with 2 of the 2x20s. Who knows, maybe the summer will be nicer than it was the last two years, but it's always harder to deal with not enough warmth than having the pool too warm - you can always cool it off easy enough by running them at night or removing the solar cover, having a fountain or other aeration in the pool, etc.

Your rack system design is only limited by your imagination - it pretty much only requires that you have adequate support, allow for drainage and face the sun. Ours is PVC and wood with a chicken wire underlay, a 2x4 "lip" on the bottom to prevent slipping off and straps to secure and support during wind events. Due to the fact that we built the pool in a "cul de sac" surrounded by trees and a lot of shade, our space constraints limited sun exposure so our rack system had to be built immediately adjacent (3') from the side of the pool with the bottom of the rack/panels at just above the top rail on the north side. We have about a 40 degree angle on the system. It is all hard plumbed parallel so both panels receive the water at the same time and discharge into the return pipe at the same time - when the pump is off they completely drain.

Attachments

• 100_0486.jpg
    100_0486.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 539
As I understand it, you don't want to leave water in the panels when they're not being used to heat the pool so they'll need to drain back into the pool whenever they're shut off. read the manual for your panels it should tell you of you're required to drain them or can leave them full.

looper said:
Thanks for the welcome!

dmanb2b: I'm in Central NY, so the weather is about the same here. I do like the idea of an additional panel, but wanted to test the waters first ;) Will have to keep that in mind when locating/building the rack tho. Did you install yours on your roof? As for the solar cover, I am already using one, so I think I am set there, but definitely a must have in this climate!

Welcome neighbor...I'm in Dutchess County, NY. Here is a link to some old pics from last year...I'm in the process of replumbing, but I did use tiger flex with no issues whatsoever. I chose to go the cheap route and just lay some house wrap (upside down or dark side up...very similar to landscaping fabric) on the ground next to the pool behind the deck and plumbed it in along with an intex SWG. I hope to have ours done in the next two weeks, but perhaps this will give you some ideas....good luck.

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/?action=view&current=IMG_1347.jpg

feel free to browse the album...hopefully we can afford to get some landscaping done this year :shock:

I just finished installing my panels, and I am a little confused about the waterflow. My system is laid out almost identically to dmanb2b's setup, but I am hearing a lot of 'noise'. I can't run my panels just yet because I am waiting for a repair kit, but I am trying to understand the water flow. What stops the water from going into the wrong direction? Am I supposed to install check valves?

Do you mean after the pump is shut off? Yes, there should be a check valve after the filter and before the panel control valve. This will ensure that the panels do not drain backwards via the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, that is the only time it would go backwards. With the pump on, the diverter valve should make sure that the water goes into the inlet. Also, the inlet should be plumbed closest to the pump and the outlet furthest from the pump so there is a natural pressure differential which will ensure that water goes into the inlet and out the outlet but the diverter will force more of the water, up to 100%, into the inlet.

The diverter is only partially opened (since my pump is a 1.5HP, and panels are on flat ground, within 20ft or so), I'll try to take pictures tonight to explain, but I have the same 3 valve layout shown in my previous link.

If you are planning to leave the panels on the ground then they will not drain through the filter. In fact, they won't drain at all. But if you plan on elevating them above the pool water height and you want them to be self draining, then you will need a check valve between the filter and the panels and you will want a vacuum release valve near the top of the panels.

I'm planning on leaving them on the ground for the rest of the season (need to make sure this system works before investing into a rack etc). So there is no concern about water not flowing correctly when the bypass valve is open around 50%?

Flow will always go into the line that is closest to the pump and come out of the pipe furthest from the pump no matter what the setting in the bypass valve. The setting on the bypass valve will only change the flow rate through the panels so even if the valve was 100% open, a very small amount of water will flow through the panels.

Am trying to follow the thread here. So if I install my panels at the same level as the return line/pool line then I wouldn't have to worry about the water in the panels backflowing into the filter? If not, then do those check valves come with the solar panels or is it another extra you have to purchase? (I'm so confused) The Fafco and other brands make the set up seem sooooo simple but it really seems to be a lot of work to get it all to work correctly!

The only time you need a check valve to prevent back draining is when the panels are installed above the water line AND a vacuum release valve is used to automatically drain the panels when the pump shuts off. Without a vacuum release valve, water remains in the panels after the pump is shut off.

Usually the solar kits will not come with either the check valve or the vacuum release valve so those will be purchased separately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.