Adding Muratic Acid

MyBad

Feb 24, 2010
AZ
Hi, I am going to work on lowering the TA in our pool. Plan to use MA, to lower pH, then run the spa fountain to aerate. Is there any guidelines when adding the MA? I read to drizzle it in, in front of one the returns in the deep end. Is there a guide as to the volume of MA to add? I mean I can figure out how much to put in, using the pool calculator, [39oz] to lower pH to 7.2, but is 39oz ok to add, all at once even if I drizzle it very slowly?

I couldn't tell you guys how much fun it has been, over the last few months, working on keeping our pool looking crystal clear and sparkly.... :cheers: thanks to all the info, and people here.

Today's numbers:
FC-8.5
CC-0.0
TC- 8.5
pH- 7.6
TA-110
CH-300
CYA-70
TEMP-72ish

You have it right. Use the Pool Calculator to figure out the quantity. Aim for 7.2 at first, so you don't cause any problems if you add a little too much acid. As you get more used to adjusting the PH you can aim for 7.0. Pour muriatic acid slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running.

I would like to get it down to 80-90. Here is where I screwed up. We moved in last OCT. Never owned a pool and the pool was full of stuff, like tables chairs, umbrella, a gazillion cigarette butts, green water and so on. I fished all the junk out, hired a pool guy to just tell me what I should do. He tested the water using strips, went over the equipment with me, and gave me a list of stuff to buy and dump in the pool.

So I did. Pool cleared up, But, I put a lot of stabilizer, and acid in all the wrong way. Then he told me just to use pucks in the floater, and test with the strips I had. I wish I would have come across this site before all that. Anyway here is a pic of it all cleaned up and nice.

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 408
MyBad said:
Hi, I am going to work on lowering the TA in our pool. Plan to use MA, to lower pH, then run the spa fountain to aerate. Is there any guidelines when adding the MA? I read to drizzle it in, in front of one the returns in the deep end. Is there a guide as to the volume of MA to add? I mean I can figure out how much to put in, using the pool calculator, [39oz] to lower pH to 7.2, but is 39oz ok to add, all at once even if I drizzle it very slowly?

I couldn't tell you guys how much fun it has been, over the last few months, working on keeping our pool looking crystal clear and sparkly.... :cheers: thanks to all the info, and people here.

Today's numbers:
FC-8.5
CC-0.0
TC- 8.5
pH- 7.6
TA-110
CH-300
CYA-70
TEMP-72ish
I usually add acid 2 or 3 cups at a time. My technique is this: I have a small clean plastic pail. I scoop a gallon or so of water out of the pool with it. Measure and pour the acid into the pail of water. I measure over the pail, in case of spills. And right at the edge of the pool. Reach in with the cup and rinse the acid off in the pool. Then I pick up the pail and sling the contents at the center of the pool, as far away as I can. It usually hits the surface in a strip about 10' long and maybe 1½' wide. The splashes don't make it to the edge, usually. And if they do, I don't worry - my junior high science teacher told us to pour acid into water so if there's a splash, it will be water, not acid. Something about if you toss a rock into a lake, water splashes out, not rock. But I digress.
After that, I rinse the pail in the pool, and carry everything back to the shed. Then I grab the brush and start brushing. By the time I've gone around the pool, I'm confident it's well-mixed.

Richard320: What, your pump is broken? Sounds like Too Much Trouble to me.... pour slowly (~an ounce at a time, ~5 sec between pours) in front of a return. In the daylight I can see the swirly shadows on the bottom of the pool as the jet stream carries the acid away. After that, it is mixed!

(The splash trick wouldn't work for me, the acid would all end up on top of the cover.) :)
--paulr

please do not sling acid (even diluted)...with the wrong release technique (which I'm sure you have down pat) accidents can happen...even Tiger slices a ball here or there :shock:

Yes, a slow steady stream about the diameter of a pencil is good. Of course, the pump needs to be running the entire time.

When pouring large quantities, make sure to wear clothes that you don't mind getting damaged. With practice adding a cup or two isn't much risk, but doing gallon after gallon raises the odds that you will get a drop on your clothes at some point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
baudilus, we were talking reducing-pH quantities not adding-borax quantities. When using multiple gallons, the trick of floating the jug in the pool while you pour would go a long way to reducing splash.
--paulr

Amen Flyweed!!!

I've come down from 200+++++++ to 130 at last check. I finally just turned off my country fountain and put my return in the right spot for best circulation...when the guys are done blowing sawdust everywhere, I'll worry about TA again...

I started putting the MA bottle in the pool and tipping it in the pool a little in each return to the pool.....no smell that way and it appears the acid is heavier so comes out....when I take the jug out some water does go in so acid in bottle gets a little diluted for next time....no more getting knocked over by a faint wiff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.