First Opening, pool almost full, what next?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
We had the pool company open today since it was included in the original deal. I got home and dropped in the hose. One thing they did not mention to me is the process used to switch the suction from the main drain to the skimmer. I know which lever to move, and to where, just not sure if I need to turn the pump off first, or any other required steps. Is there a certain time period I should wait before activating the skimmer? Thanks.

JasonLion said:
It is best to turn off the pump before moving any of the valves. You don't need to wait, just be sure the pump is off.

Thanks. The pool company also asked if I wanted a gas guy to come start the heater. Is he just assuming I have a millivolt heater that needs the pilot lit, or is there something that needs to be done with an electronic ignition heater too?

You probably need to open the gas valve for the heater, which is easy enough. It should have been turned off when the pool was closed for the winter, though sometimes that doesn't happen. WIth electronic ignition that should be the only step. Sometimes the heater needs to be cleaned before it will start properly, but you can wait till you actually have a problem before worrying about that.

It is remotely possible that the gas was physically disconnected, but that seems extremely unlikely.

JasonLion said:
You probably need to open the gas valve for the heater, which is easy enough. It should have been turned off when the pool was closed for the winter, though sometimes that doesn't happen. WIth electronic ignition that should be the only step. Sometimes the heater needs to be cleaned before it will start properly, but you can wait till you actually have a problem before worrying about that.

It is remotely possible that the gas was physically disconnected, but that seems extremely unlikely.

The gas pipe that goes into the heater has a lever that turns it off. It has been off all winter. Is there something other than this that would need to be opened?

JasonLion said:
That should be it. Turn on the gas, turn on the electricity, turn on the pump, set the thermostat appropriately, and the heater should startup.

Thanks, will do. BTW, ever hear of a skimmer 'beauty plate' that wont snap back in after winter? It's been stored inside and is now too loose and won't stay in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.