rough tiny bumps on plaster

May 5, 2010
My in ground plaster pool was completed in July 0f 2008, we enjoyed it for two months and closed it. We opened last year in May and enjoyed it until October of 2009. I opened it two weeks ago and there are all these little bumps all over the plaster and they are rough to the touch. The pool uses the salt chlorine system and we have chosen not to use any other chemicals in the pool, opening early and closing late to avoid algae issues (which we have never had any of). Does anyone have any idea what these bumps are and how I might remove them? I tried brushing and it is not removing them but maybe I just need more elbow grease? My nice smooth plaster is no longer and I am feeling bummed.

No other chemicals huh....

The most likely cause is calcium scale. Have you kept on top of your pH? SWGs and new plaster raise pH, and a high number can/will cause calcium scaling.

Short version: you absolutely need more than just SWG-generated chlorine to have a trouble-free pool. Have you read pool school (button in upper right)? It will tell you, clearly and concisely, everything you need to know to have perfect water. We're here to help!

Welcome to TFP!

Melt In The Sun pointed out the most likely possibility, calcium scaling. If you post a full set of water test results we can probably confirm that it was scaling and give you some suggestions on how to avoid any further scaling.

thank you so much for your reply. I have always maintained appropriate pH with MA; I should have been clear about that. I meant we have never used any scale inhibitor or other recommended agents. If it is Calcium scale what would one do to get rid of the bumps? I will get the ater tested tomorrow and post results then. Thank you both so much.

i read Pool School and now see the answer to what to do about the scale ..... full drain and acid wash ... possible heavy brushing with a product will remove but man o man its every where and my arms are tired! Can someone recommend the best product they have used for this? I am also curious how quickly this scale can form. When we closed in October there was none, but when it was opened this spring bam it was all over ... did it form over the winter and should the folks closing my pool have detected the calcium level was off and recommended something? Would a scale inhibitor if it had been put in pool at closing have avoided this from happening or is this a direct result of my calcium level and that is what needed to be righted before closing last fall?

OK, I have been reading more and it sounds like my calcium hardiness might be low and so the pool water is pulling calcium out of the plaster which is forming the bumps .... that goes against what the pool store said which was calcium was may be too high and we needed to sequester it in the pool ... oh well, will do water test and get to bottom but in interim I am curious how others raise the CH level with out harsh chemicals.

It would really help if you post a full set of water test results. There isn't really any way I can answer most of your questions without that.

Scale inhibitor helps, but keeping your levels properly balanced helps more.

bchisholm said:
OK, I have been reading more and it sounds like my calcium hardiness might be low and so the pool water is pulling calcium out of the plaster which is forming the bumps .... that goes against what the pool store said which was calcium was may be too high and we needed to sequester it in the pool ... oh well, will do water test and get to bottom but in interim I am curious how others raise the CH level with out harsh chemicals.

Yes, ditto what Jason says. You need to post chemical numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.