Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SNAKE!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

SNAKE!!!

Anyone know what kind of snake this is hanging out on my back porch?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SNAKE!!!

It looks like what we used to call "garter snakes" when I was a kid. We would pick them up and hold them, sometimes they would bite but it didn't really hurt. I can't tell you the exact name, but I know what the poisonous ones look like and that isn't one of them. I wouldn't worry about it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

This site has a pictorial series of questions that might help too. All I know about snakes is that I don't like *any* of them!
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as it stays out of my house we will get along fine!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, we used to play with them too. They were Garter Snakes to me. Harmless and fun.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

That would be a Gulf Coast Ribbon snake.

http://www.texassnakes.net/GulfCoast.htm

7. Back To Top    #7

Good thing I didn't find that in my backyard. Yuck! I did however find ducks swimming in my pool this evening. Can't be good for them with my high FC levels.
    Plano, TX
    25,000 Gallons, Plaster, DE Filter, No SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

The stories (all true) I can tell about our Snake/Spider Haven out here at New Fort West Dawg and Critter Ranch.

Looks like a Ribbon snake to me too; benificial.

After the shock of spotting a nonvenomous snake, and if you get a bite that breaks the skin about the worst you can expect is infection at the wound site. Some snakes carry more bacteria in their mouths; less with insect eaters, more with those that consume live, warm and cold blooded, prey. I hate getting bitten by anything, btw, but it's just part of the "job".

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

That's a Garter Snake...at least what I have always learned. Pretty common just about everywhere and fairly easy to catch. They'll calm down pretty quickly if you don't alarm them and many people (who like snakes) will keep one as pets.

In the midwest, they would get up to about 3' and I'm sure really big ones would exceed that. They seemed a little more agressive acting as they got bigger. They love birds eggs and frogs and will swallow them whole. I have heard they will wrap around a tree to breakthe egg they've swallowed but I've never seen that.

In high School, I caught about a 2.5 footer who had swallowed an egg and was obviously not doing well. I took him to my biology class where he stayed in the glassed-in arboretum for all to see but he kept getting worse. My biology somehow chloroformed him and cut an incision on one side of his belly where the egg was lodged.........it was a Titleist!!

Mr Snake recovered very rapidly and began to eat and was released back to the wild that Spring. My bet is he stayed away from golf courses after that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Yesterday, when I fired up the mower, one of those got thrown out from underneath. He lost the battle with the blade.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah the only good snake is a dead one! hehe sorry me no likey :P
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

12. Back To Top    #12

Hubby is a snake aficionado. He finds them and brings them home. We had a lovely king snake we named Queenie. Best handling snake I've ever had. We've had corn snakes, hog nose, black rat, black, garter, copperhead (none that came into the house - they I will kill). Growing up he and his Dad would go up into the hills/mountains of Jersey looking for any snake they could. Freud would have a field day.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit