SNAKE!!!

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Anyone know what kind of snake this is hanging out on my back porch?
100_2631.jpg

It looks like what we used to call "garter snakes" when I was a kid. We would pick them up and hold them, sometimes they would bite but it didn't really hurt. I can't tell you the exact name, but I know what the poisonous ones look like and that isn't one of them. I wouldn't worry about it.

The stories (all true) I can tell about our Snake/Spider Haven out here at New Fort West Dawg and Critter Ranch. :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Looks like a Ribbon snake to me too; benificial. :wink:

After the shock of spotting a nonvenomous snake, and if you get a bite that breaks the skin about the worst you can expect is infection at the wound site. Some snakes carry more bacteria in their mouths; less with insect eaters, more with those that consume live, warm and cold blooded, prey. I hate getting bitten by anything, btw, but it's just part of the "job". :roll:

gg=alice

That's a Garter Snake...at least what I have always learned. Pretty common just about everywhere and fairly easy to catch. They'll calm down pretty quickly if you don't alarm them and many people (who like snakes) will keep one as pets.

In the midwest, they would get up to about 3' and I'm sure really big ones would exceed that. They seemed a little more agressive acting as they got bigger. They love birds eggs and frogs and will swallow them whole. I have heard they will wrap around a tree to breakthe egg they've swallowed but I've never seen that.

In high School, I caught about a 2.5 footer who had swallowed an egg and was obviously not doing well. I took him to my biology class where he stayed in the glassed-in arboretum for all to see but he kept getting worse. My biology somehow chloroformed him and cut an incision on one side of his belly where the egg was lodged.........it was a Titleist!!

Mr Snake recovered very rapidly and began to eat and was released back to the wild that Spring. My bet is he stayed away from golf courses after that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hubby is a snake aficionado. He finds them and brings them home. We had a lovely king snake we named Queenie. Best handling snake I've ever had. We've had corn snakes, hog nose, black rat, black, garter, copperhead (none that came into the house - they I will kill). Growing up he and his Dad would go up into the hills/mountains of Jersey looking for any snake they could. Freud would have a field day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.