Appropriate cleaner for wooden deck pool surround?

May 18, 2008
Sacramento, CA area
My pool is surrounded by a wooden deck (not by choice -- it came with the house that way), and I need to clean it. The best thing I've found so far would be an oxygen bleach cleaner. For the chemists around here, here's the chemical definition of "oxygen bleach" I found on the 'net:
Sodium percarbonate is a white crystalline water-soluble adduct of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide, with formula Na2CO3·1.5H2O2.
My question is: Would this be safe to use around the pool? I'd do my best, of course, to not get any in the pool, but there's always a chance some might get in. Do any of you see any problem with that?

If this isn't a good choice, does anyone have any suggestions for how I should clean this deck? I need to get this done ASAP!

Thanks!

Well, so far, I'm just scrubbing it with a scrub brush and rinsing (away from the pool) with the water hose. That's helping and it does look better, but man, is it tedious. I got about 8 feet done this afternoon. Maybe next year, we can replace this deck with something more suitable. In the meantime, any ideas to make this an easier process would be welcomed! :)

Waterwoman...I use a high pressure sprayer keep it moving and try not to lift the grain of the wood. You should be able to rent one for a day at the hardware or tool rental. after it dries for a few days I seal it with a solid oil stain with a brush. The solid oil stain lasts longer then the others. It is remarkable how fast the pressure sprayer takes the mold and dirt out of the wood. My decks are going on 32 years and this is how I maintained them.
good luck
Ric

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.