Elk Grove, CA
Fresh numbers:

pH: 8.0
TA: 80
CA: 280
Borates: 50
FC: 6.0
Temp ~75F

pH drifts from 7.5 to 8.0 in less than a week. Do I go for a lower TA? This has been a constant issue. I keep waterfalls off 95% of the time. Wife turns them on when company is over. The 1.5hp single speed pump moves the water very well, almost aggressively if you get my meaning. You can see the water swirling all the time when it is on. I just want to be able to keep a constant pH of ~7.6 for a few weeks. Any more ideas?

You could also make sure your returns aren't pointed too much upward. There shouldn't be too much of a rippling effect. You only need a gentle surface flow to get decent skimmer action -- if the water surface gets into little waves or breaks apart at the surface, then that will tend to increase the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing that causes pH to rise.

When I want to intentionally force my pH to rise when I'm trying to lower the TA through acid addition and aeration, I generally point up my returns and set my pump on a high speed. That greatly accelerates the process so might be part of what is going on in your pool unintentionally.

Of course, lowering the TA as Jason suggests should also help and you may need to do both -- lower TA and returns pointed out or slightly downward instead of upward.

Took pH down to 7.0, aerated with waterfalls and 3 days later TA is at 50 and pH about 7.5. If a TA of 50 stabilizes my pH, how do I offset the lower CSI value? I am about -0.4. Should I increase CH from 280 to 350?

pH=7.5
TA=50
CYA=40
CH=280
Borates=50

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.