Vacuuming w/ cartridge system

alburk

May 5, 2010
We just filled our pool and there is a light coat of silt on the bottom...from the air and possible residue in the pipes. We have a Hydromite cartridge filter HM100. The filter has an attachment at the end that fits/seals into an opening at the bottom of the cannister. These plastic seal pieces are glued to the bottom of the filter and tend to separate from the filter (glue gives). Anyhow, I went to vaccum the pool bottom and all seemed well until I vacuumed the steps. I accidently sucked in a little air and it appears that the air caused the filter system to empty the silt back into the pool through the jets.

I assume the air caused the filter to lose its seal with the bottom of the cannister and water proceeded to bypass the filter back into the pool...bringing the filtered silt with it. Is that likely the problem? Does the force of the water flow maintain the seal between the filter and cannister? Would air in the sytem cause that seal to fail...making it necessary to blead the cannister of air?

Any advice?

thanks,

Andy

That's very strange. I would probably stop everything and open the filter to allow for an inspection of the cartridge(s). It sounds like the filter membrane might no longer be intact. Those cartridges are held in there pretty secure and I can't imagine that a little bit of air getting in there would cause them to lose their seal.

----

Oh, ok. I see what you are saying now. Yes, if the seal is separating from the filter membrane as you describe, it's time to replace the cartridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.