Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First large Pool Party next weekend...

1. Back To Top    #1

First large Pool Party next weekend...

I will be having my kids Birthday Party next Saturday and it will be the first party in the Pool. I am expecting 20-22 bathers in my pool.

Is it a good idea to shock the pool with bleach before or after? Or should I just bring the levels up slowly with my SWG little by little to a bit over my normal levels?

The wife is afraid if I shock with bleach before and mess up that we can't swim. But I told here I use the TFP and the Pool Calc and she gave me a strange look, LMAO!
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First large Pool Party next weekend...

I'd just run at the high end of the range before the party, then shock it after the party. Your pool will eat chlorine for several hours with that many kids.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as the chlorine is in the top of the range you should have no problems. If you want to shock after you can, but you may not need to. Make sure everyone understands the no peeing in the pool rule and maybe set out some old towels on the floor of the house to keep the path to the toilet dry.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

More people in the pool means more chlorine demand, with enough people way more chlorine demand. As long as you add enough chlorine there isn't any need to shock. Figuring out just how much chlorine you need is a little hit or miss so be sure to test the level right after the party.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow!!! That's a lot of kids! Good luck to you! Make it a rule in your house/pool....go pee before you go swimming! I tell my kids and their friends...I have put a special chemical in the pool...if you pee in my pool your bathing suit will turn red!! OMG...you should see the looks on their faces!!!
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

6. Back To Top    #6

For what it's worth, we have done several pool parties like that. I usually dose the pool before the party to get the FC level to 2.5 ppm above target as indicated by the Chlorine CYA Chart. Following this route has kept me from having to shock afterward.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys. Its about 15 kids and 12 adults. All the kids are potty trained except for my soon to be 3 yr old boy (in the process) and know not to pee in the pool.

I will just keep chlorine just a hair over my preferred levels and test fix/handle on Sunday any issues.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

8. Back To Top    #8

I've had several pool parties over the years - a bump of 2-3 over normal has always been plenty and I've never had to shock after.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I've had several pool parties over the years - a bump of 2-3 over normal has always been plenty and I've never had to shock after.
    thanks FPM