3/4 whisperflo shutting off

Apr 8, 2010
I have a 18x30x4' deep soft sided pool. we decided to change out the pump since our old one was screaming already. I got a killer deal on a 3/4 hp whisperflo. I noticed a drastic increase in my flo and skimmer suction whoa! My old pump was a above ground waterway pool/jetted 1 hp plugged into a 110 gfi recepticle 2' away. My new pump runs for 3 mins. And than shuts off. I checked the volts at both the pump and 117v @ panel 120v. The amps at the pump read very high which is why i assume its heating up and shutting off. The start at 10 and climb slowly till it reaches 14.7-15 amps and off it goes. The breaker does not trip or my gfi recepticle. I changed out the wiring to #10 still same. The run from panel and recep. is 70'. That wiring is #12 w/ 20 amp breaker leading to the 15 amp gfi recept. I have also checked the return and skimmer for obstructions. What else can i check and or why is my pump drawing so many amps? I have triple my pump wiring to ensure it is at correct voltage.

Yes, and unfortunately i forgot a big part of this. I just checked the service factor on both. i received this pump free along witb a new motor but it is a uprated one with. The new motor is a total of .97 while i am using a wetend from a energy efficient 3/4 which on the label would total 1.25. This would mean a 1hp impeller would fix it? So this will explain my scenario?

You need an impeller that matches the motor. There are a couple of different ways the motor might be labeled, which you need to match up to how Pentair labels their motors to figure out which impeller size matches. The listed HP times the SF gives SFHP, which needs to be matched up to a specific Pentair model's SFHP to find a corresponding impeller.

Ok plate on just wetend is 3/4hp and 1.67 sf totaling 1. 25 sfhp. The new motor is 3/4 hp with a 1.30 sfhp totaling .97. I would need a wf2 or wfe2 1/2 hp impeller. I also should mention that i have only 20' of head with a waterway fc100 cartridge filter 1.5" plumbing, 1 return,1 skimmer.

Just got the impeller today to match the motor. It started very well. I thought problem was fixed when 15 minutes later it shut off again. I also removed the 3/4" eyeball from the return and filters psi drops drasticlly to 10 psi. It will also run for 45 minutes this way before shutting down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.