Here's what I wish I knew before owning a pool!

oh those memories i still remember like yesterday. :goodjob: lol isn't that the truth .my nest has empty out now i had six kds three bio and three step still all mine , could u image the traffic with them and their freinds and other guest what a circus i had around the summer time by the pool side , but they are all gone now from home so my pool don't get much use . but i wouldn't trade those memories for nothing . :whoot:

NES- I can relate. We are empty nesters too with four adult children who spent much of their childhood summers in the pool. Between them, friends & family it was great too have it. It was the main source of entertainment out here in the "boonies". My husband isn't a water person, jumps in occasionally to cool off, then right out again. Last season I was only in it a few times, either by myself or with 3 of my young grandchildren. Although they don't visit much, they're the real reason I keep it. We missed the last 'pool party' in 2008, hosted by our then 22 year old while hubby and I were in Wyoming for a week. :roll:

Here's another one- people with "problems" with swim suits- if your religion causes you to be offended that the boys swim shirtless and the girls wear a swimsuit (even a modest one piece), then just don't come over for a swim- we can barbecue or something else, but don't act like that if you want to get in my pool with my kids- I'm not going to make them swim fully clothed so you can feel comfortable in my pool.

Here's a tip for you, I came up with it after having an accident myself!

Get those little ziplocks, the ones that look like they would only hold half a sandwich. Or use sandwich bags if you just want to use what's on hand. Put the box of them on a table (or whatever) near the pool. Have anyone with a phone (including you) put the phone in the ziplock immediately. That way if a table gets knocked over, someone kicks the phone on the patio, someone forgets and jumps in with the phone, it's protected! I can't speak for all phones but Blackberry and iPhone devices still work great inside the ziplock!

Excellent tip Robbie!! Great Idea!

My 24 yr old son & I are batchin it at our home, so the main users of the pool are him & his friends. My only beef is the girls traipsing in the house to use the restroom without drying off. We're still working on that one yet. At least they're not using the pool for a restroom. I find an occasional bra or swim top on our patio table or on the pool deck, & he takes it back to our back shop where they often gather. He's getting quite a collection hanging on the "lost & found" wall.

Heres what I wished I knew.

Even though we had pools as kids and Ive "looked after them" for myself other people there is a difference between the labor and the cost. When all the "stuff" is in a shed and you dont get the bills, a pool seems ridiculously easy.
Its not, but its not hard to deal with either as long as you understand how they work.

The big eye openers for me.....

1. How much energy\money is really required to heat a pool like a resort
2. How much energy\money is required to keep a pool hot like a resort
3. How much money a 1.hp pump cost to run
4. How much the chemicals cost, and how to do it right
5. I wish I installed a saltwater chlorinator decades ago
6. Working cleaner/return side combo solutions (pooskim etc.) to substantially minimize cleaning labor.
7. I should have spent the money on solar heating decades ago. (see items 1& 2)

Uncle Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support