Best Pool Cleaner with a crazy dog

May 4, 2010
I am a new user to the forum so please forgive me if this has been discussed or is in the wrong place. I have a 15,000 gal pool with a Barracuda G3 cleaner. My pool cleaner is crapping out on me; I have practically rebuilt it piece by piece and it still does not work right. I have resigned to getting a new cleaner. My biggest problem is I have a 95 pound yellow lab that is in the pool more than he is out. In addiiton to filling the pool with dog hair and dirt from the yard, he LOVES to attack the vacuum hose.
I was hoping somone could recommend a good pool cleaner that can handle all that our dog can give it. Ideally I would like something heavy duty (at least for a small 15k gal pool) and without a hose that floats on top of the pool to tempt him.

Thank you

I think you're going to have a hard time finding something. One of our posters here (geekgranny) has had several cleaners ruined by her dogs. There is no hose that is light and nimble enough to allow the cleaner to do it's job that would also stand up to much abuse. Robots don't have a hose but they have an electrical cord which would be worse for the pets.

You may just have to run the cleaner when the dog is not in the area. Maybe you can run it over night or if he is a full time yard dog get a dog run he can stay in while the cleaner runs.

That's a tough one. The only thing that I can think of to try would be for you to get a robot (because they are faster than a G3) and then bring the dog in or secure him for an hour or two until the robot is done with the job.

My little mini dachshund/chihuahua mix is skeeered to death of the Baracuda. Won't go anywhere near the pool with that thing clicking along in there.

Maybe there's a way to make the hose taste bad :puker: ? Kind of like that hot pepper nail polish-like stuff that you can use to try and break a nail-biting habit? Just a wild idea, I have no idea if something like that could work

My dogs messed with the cleaner bodies mostly, Jandy Energy (way, way, back), Ray-Vac (I lost more of those than any), and Polaris 280 when they came to the surface, at side of pool, or when Polaris flicked its tail. They usually grabbed them from the pool edge so non swimmers participated also. They have never been all that interested in the cords or hoses.

Last four years we lost the last five of our geriatrics, so we have all "new" dogs now. All of my new dogs ranging from 2 Labradoodles, 19 mo.s, Jake Mastiff, 17 mo.s, and 2 Blue Heelers, 4 months, are leaving the Aquabot, Polaris, and Tracker 4x alone. EXCEPT for the flicking tale on the Polaris, only very rarely. That is so irresistible. And they are really going after the rubber sponge. They are also leaving the tab floater, when occasionally used, and thermometer alone (It is usually in the skimmer). We started them early with "NO, that's Momma's toy!!!!!!!!" in a very harsh, Alpha Dog disapproving tone of voice and they have been great. The little girls, Australian Cattle Monsters are the most resistant to "NO". They certainly like retrieving toys, plant debris, bugs, etc. from the pool but aren't messing with Momma's things. They even drop or toss things in the pool so they can retrieve them. Not all things float though, like river rocks, for instance. I haven't been able to cure them of stealing my Crocs though. That has been the hardest and we may never have a "cure".

The dogs are somewhat supervised; much more than the dogs in past. Many of my Mastiffs, in the past were the worst, more so than the Rotties and Briard, especially the boys, but Jake Mastiff seems much less prey oriented than my past Mastiffs, mostly from my breeding program, with high emphasis on working aptitude which usually carries with it high prey drive. One of my Mastiff boys was great at water rescue even, but they don't have a lot of endurance, are not built for their back ends to float, and their bones are very heavy so they tire more quickly than "water dogs".

The main danger is the cord on the Aquabot. My best swimmer gets tangled in it. They all swim over the hoses for the Polaris and Tracker but I rarely run them a whole lot during the day when dogs are out and pull the hoses off to the side and/or end when not running. If I can't keep a close watch on the dogs and pool they come in. When I nap they come in and at night they come in. When only DH is here they come in. Night is when the cleaners run the most. I have security cameras (upgraded my system from BW/CRT to Color/LED, but haven't hooked up one for the pool area yet. That's not going to work when everyone is sleeping or not around. When the dogs are out in pool yard I bring my Notebook to the big window in dining room, where I have full view of the pool.

As suggested a battery robotic (that can be set to not climb up walls very far or doesn't climb walls), a dog trained to not go in the pool unless allowed in by command, or not running the cleaner when dog has access to the pool area about the only options. The "Dog Whisperer" had one show where he trained a Lab or Golden and his owners (most training is training the owners) to not enter the pool unless owners gave the dog permission. This dog was totally out of control and, if I remember right, was damaging the house trying to get to the pool.

BTW.... DH and I became so disgusted watching the Movie "Marley" we didn't even finish it. It promoted out of control and misbehavior to the extreme. We didn't think it was funny or endearing at all.

gg=alice

Reactions: Ignoramus
Alice,

I see you're not a cat person? :mrgreen:

My current Springer Spaniel won't swim in the pool. She's will, however, swim to Virginia in the lake. I'm suspecting that it has something to do with visual-depth perception. She leaves everything alone, except when hot after a big run in the woods. Then she will go to the steps and lay down in the water. Dirt, debris and all!

I tried reading "Marly and Me", but made it through 3 chapters. Can't bring myself to see the movie.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ivyleager said:
Alice,

I see you're not a cat person? :mrgreen:

My current Springer Spaniel won't swim in the pool. She's will, however, swim to Virginia in the lake. I'm suspecting that it has something to do with visual-depth perception. She leaves everything alone, except when hot after a big run in the woods. Then she will go to the steps and lay down in the water. Dirt, debris and all!

I tried reading "Marly and Me", but made it through 3 chapters. Can't bring myself to see the movie.

Many "water dogs" won't swim in a pool unless they are introduced properly.

Oh, I'm a cat person for sure. I adore cats. DH tolerated DD and my cats over the years. He was kind to them and loved and cared for them but would have rather not had them. I had no idea he didn't really like cats all that much until years after we lost our last two. But it is hard to have them out here unless they are inside only, which is hard to do with GIANT doggie door to the fenced courtyard (to keep dogs out of front fenced yard and snakes dusk to dawn) and industrial vinyl flaps, on back door, all day except for during the hottest or coldest part of day or when they all decide to nap inside during day. (Door always closed when we aren't here and at dusk, all night, to protect them from snake bites, dusk to dawn.)

Our upstairs is heat/cooled separte from downstairs, with a door at top of stairs and gate at bottom. We had a friend living with us, for a year, three years ago. His 19 yr old cat stayed inside all the time. And visiting cats are allowed as long as they stay upstairs and always inside. The hard and fast rule is two doors between the downstairs and the area the cats are in.

Neighbors, who don't keep cats, small dogs, and other smaller pets in, all the time lose cats to Bobcats (Lynx rufus), Coyotes, Fox, Raccoons and snakes and even Hawks, even during the day. We have an occasional Hawk fly in to our bird feeding area, even though all feeders are sheltered by overhanging trees.

Right where my house is we have three houses surrounding a small wooded open area, our "front forty", that has only a drive separating it from the protected habitat woodlands, adjoing the protected State Park. One neighbor, H and W, have early morning coffee, on their front porch, and see Bobcats and Coyotes all the time, while they are sipping coffee, in the a.m. Even though they only let their cats out during daytime hours they lost two cats over past couple of years and one about three years ago. After the last one, last summer, their oldest, their remaining cats are indoors all the time now. We have spotted fox on occasion but usually in the field, up the road, that is a "Gentleman's" Longhorn "Ranch". Before we moved here in 86, and the area was far less populated, there were reports of a puma spotted on several different occasions; probably, an escaped "pet". Years ago there were sightings of a large tan cat in a Fort Worth park. It turned out to be a Fawn English Mastiff, as I remember.

Other neighbor had four cats until past two years, all brought in at night. They lost one two summers ago, and one last summer, during the day, coyote. The one lost last year had survived an attack, somehow, the previous year, with a broken leg and hip. Their dog Chaco, pit mix, our foster child, used to stay home a lot more, and helped protect the cats during the day when they were out. Past year, since all our new doggies came, she is spending more and more time over here so the cats don't have quite as much daytime protection as before. I'm caring for their animals this weekend. I told them I was not going to let the cats out during the day.

We have several distinct coyote packs out here, as evidenced by their night time, yips, yaps and howls, near and far, and all around the protected habitats. It's not too unusual to see one, or two, during the day. Many neighbors have had mother Bobcats, make dens, around (under) their house structures, to have and protect their litters. All of our wild critters, out here, are well fed, and therefore larger and stronger than they would be in harsher environments. We never leave only one dog alone in a fenced yard; two or more. Until our newest additions of two Labradoodles and two Blue Heelers, for 24 years our smallest dogs were female Rotties. :shock: That way they stand a better chance against a Bobcat or a Coyote pack. But we've never had any, that we know of come into our fenced areas. I see them right outside our front fenced yard, cutting through the wooded area from one neighbor's yard (cat people) to other neighbors yard (cat people) both of those yards unfenced.

In addition, I feed hundreds of birds off my deck, off my dining/kitchen area. The only way I could protect cats and birds would be to keep cats caged during day and only loose at night, only in the house and by caging the large courtyard. I don't think that would be fair to the cats. We moved out here with two cats, in their prime. We lost both about a year after we moved here. They didn't come home for night time feeding. Next morning I found one, dead, on outside of fence. Looked like from snakebite. The other never came back.

So I enjoy others' cats when I get a chance. Besides that English Mastiffs are very much like Big Cats, one of the most cat like canines I've ever been around, but you can have them in the house and uncagged, with very little danger to other animals and humans.

gg=alice

I had a water loving dog, a German Shorthair, (would swim for hours until he literally tired and sank...) and I was concerned for his safety. His leather collar would be wet and soggy all the time, so I bought a red nylon snap on collar, and when he would go out and was "Allowed" to swim, I would remove his leather collar and put on his red nylon collar...kind of like putting on his swim suit. He learned that when he had it on, he was allowed in the water. He would bring me his collar to put on him so he could swim. Dogs are too smart. I still had to watch him, because he would get caught in the hose. He learned to pop his feet onto the hose to push it down as he went over it, but it still wasn't safe, so I finally bought him a life jacket. He LOVED it. I didn't worry as much while he wore the life jacket...but he didn't eat the pool hose like the original poster has said. I suppose you should run it at night, like others have suggested, and remove it during the day.

He just passed away at the age of 12. He was the most "in shape" (and clean) dog you have seen, since he swam all day every day. He loved swimming and he loved his life jacket. He swam on his last day with us, then laid down on the back porch and passed away while he napped. I've attached a picture of him. Sorry this is off topic, but he was the best dog.

Attachments

• swimming merrily along.JPG
    swimming merrily along.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC01885.JPG
    DSC01885.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 229
TSip200: sorry about the loss of your great dog. It sounds like he was a beautiful, smart guy.

I just came to this thread searching for info on auto vac's. We have a Barracuda 1500, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet since we've only used it once and have only had the pool for a week and a half. :)

:( I am so sorry to read about the passing of your dog. They are truly the best 4 legged friends we get to have on this Earth, especially if you get a good one and yours sounds like he was a goodie :goodjob:
Our dog of 15 years passed away earlier this summer and we miss him dearly. Although he didn't swim, he sure had a good time watching everyone in the pool. God bless our pets. Life wouldn't be the same without them. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.