Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diving Board Base?? Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Diving Board Base?? Help

Our pool is several, well, many years old and so is the diving board. The base finally cracked and needs replaced. It is so old the bolts and nuts have rusted together. We are having a terrible time just removing the base. I believe it can be replaced with a La Mesa dive stand and matches the jig perfectly. Problem is the protruding jig bolts are so rusted. My assumption is, though, the jig is in the concrete and it ain't coming out... is this correct? My father-in-law has suggested welding new bolts to the jig as this should be as strong as the original. I assume only other option is to cut out concrete, insert new jig and pour new concrete? Anyone have experience or thoughts on this issue? I know a lot of people are staying away from diving boards these days, but we love ours and would like to save it!
    Thanks,
    Amy
    18x36 IG concrete w/ vinyl liner - 28,000 gal; 1hp Hayward SP w/ sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diving Board Base?? Help

Lose the dive stand. Without a substantial change in the decking, it will never meet safety standards. Use a cutoff wheel to cut the studs flush and paint them with Rustolium.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

If you really want to save it get some PB Blaster and soak the bolts & nuts good several times over a few days then try and remove them. You'd be amazed how good that stuff works. Once off you can decide what to do about the jig.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with Bama, lube up the nuts real good over several days, try and use an impact gun to remove them if you have access to one. A quick shot on "tighten" sometimes will help break them loose.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

The bolts/jig could not be saved. There is not enough left sticking out of the concrete to attached another base. One pool store guy suggested we drill slightly behind the last bolts and put in bolts with claws that open up once they get under the concrete (sorry, I know those aren't the proper terms). I am concerned those just won't be sturdy enough. Could we cement those in somehow and also apply some kind of adhesive to attach the base to the concrete along with the bolts. Another said the only option is to cut out a huge section of concrete and start with a new jig and pour new concrete. We just can't afford that option this year; however, if it means sacrificing safety we obviously will just forgo the diving board this year. Any suggestions on a safe, yet cost effective way to install the diving board?

Thanks!

I guess it's pretty much installing a diving board after a pool is installed at this point, but can you do that?
    18x36 IG concrete w/ vinyl liner - 28,000 gal; 1hp Hayward SP w/ sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Do you have any pictures? There's usually a solution to almost any problem. It may involve some labor but likely not too much money.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Look into concrete wedge anchors. once they're in properly, they stay in there.

The first plan that comes to mind would be to cut / grind the stubbies left and make three new holes for wedge anchors. A good 1/2" wedge anchor will NOT go anywhere.. http://www.confast.com/products/technic ... nchor.aspx
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with mart242 on the wedge anchors. Certainly try this before removing concrete. There is also industrial strength epoxy that is used to anchor rebar into concrete, and you could use this in conjunction with the wedge anchors to give you a little extra insurance. If the wedge anchors fail you can always resort to concrete removal.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would do what I could to get the stubs below grade (ie: grind) then fill the holes with epoxy or something. Otherwise, you may get rust stains.

Drill new holes and use expanding anchors as stated above.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Just my 2 cents.

While epoxy, wedge anchors, etc might work, I know I would not want to risk something going really really wrong. The proper fix for this is to tear out the old jig and replace it with a new one. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's the proper fix. I'm not trying to preach to anyone, but what if you, your child, or a friends child was on that diving board and it gave way? To me , diving boards, slides, etc are liabilites in the best of cases. There is no need to make that liability worse with a "fix" thats not up to proper standards. Again, I'm not trying to lecture anyone and really dont want it to come across that way. Just an opinion.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well if the diving board gives the people will land in the pool so it's not too bad..
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mart242
    Well if the diving board gives the people will land in the pool so it's not too bad..
    I hope you are being facetious.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

I can say that I would decline to do this type of work, as I could not guarantee it would be safe in the end. Scott (PollGuyNJ) is right, unless you are willing to cut out the entire area, set a new jig, and replace the concrete. There is no way that I would want to assume someones safety with any other installation practice.

How about a jump rock? Kids (and us old farts that are refusing to grow up ) love to climb on a rock and jump in the pool. They add an element of nature around the pool and do not rust! I would much rather see a nice rock (or rock grouping of various heights) than a slab of Fibreglas any day!

14. Back To Top    #14

While it's possible to use wedge anchors or similar to install new threaded rods, what about bonding them?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)