the clorine geni

Good to hear. Once again, I'm sorry I was rude. It was just that the product seemed so fake and phony, but I would too spend $500 just not to have to dump bleach in my pool everyday.

:?

Then you all agree this peculiar system works but would never be worth its original retail price?

I remain skeptical, but the point of wheter Pool Gal is or isn't affiliated to the Chlorine Geni is now moot. As the job of a sales representative is to add value to his/her product, admitting the following would be quite self-defeating:
long time pool gal said:
And yes, if the unit had cost me $500 or more, I probably wouldn't have even considered it as well.

Glad you could get your hand on such a unit at such a low price. I pity the original owner though, especially for his huge 3 years of use. And welcome to Trouble Free Pool.

Oh! and on another topic:
salp said:
I am still waiting for the answer on how much brine waste from the RO section of this system. The "Bad" water from RO has to go somewhere, How much are you wasting?

To attach a file, click "Full Editor" (Next to the Submit Button) and below your post is a section to upload files... I would love to see the manual. I would really like to see the section about closing or leaving the drain open. I suspect this is where brine goes. But not sure WHY you would want it closed...

Yes, you are correct about the process by-product that is drained from the unit. According to the manual, its your choice whether to drain or not. Opening the drain lowers the ph slowly, closing the drain raises it slowly. The unit does not monitor ph, you must always test and adjust as needed. The drain solution is a bit alkaline, with a little salt, and the instructions designate to keep away from sensitive plants. I tried to attach the manual for everyone to read, but it exceeded the amount allowed.

We vary the drain position in keeping with the ph adjustment that might be needed. We are fortunate that our ph stays pretty stable, changing ever so slightly from time to time. Most of the time I would say our drain is in the closed position. I'm not quite sure how to answer the brine waste water question that was raised, as we only have 2 output lines coming from the unit, and the one is the chlorine to the pool. Since the unit is on a timer, and the incoming water is only "flowing" when the timer activates the solenoid control valves, there is not a gush of water, only a trickle due to the flow restrictor. We only had to drain out some nasty brine water from the holding tank once when a internal tube got clogged. After the service tech showed me how to clear the lines, we haven't had any problems since. Perhaps the brine question could be asked directly to the Chlorine Geni people by email or phone, as I said, they were helpful to me. I'll see if I can get some photos, but I wonder if the limit on uploading will work!

How about this? I'm 1 year into a repo that has an older model of the Chlorine Genie. I'll post a few picts of it. It's not working now, and I'm hesitant to have a local factory certified tech in to get it going. I was quoted about $150 min. for the labor of service call. (the manual shows it to be pretty straight forward, and once you figure things out, your free of service charges).

Anyways, I can't even remember what I figured was wrong in the first place, but I've kind of caught up on fixing the must do things, and am now looking at the should do items. I was think about trashing the whole thing and changing to salt water pool setup, but really, I don't have much to lose to at least try the unit out. Of course, that depends on what repair costs may be. I'll let u know how it goes...

Here are links to some picts:

FGTPZ.jpg

and

bS2Js.jpg

and here is the first 20 pages of the 25 page manual:

[attachment=2:z6la9ggh]Pages from Chlorine Factory-Geni Model r40w small 1 of 4.pdf[/attachment:z6la9ggh]

[attachment=1:z6la9ggh]Pages from Chlorine Factory-Geni Model r40w small 2 of 4.pdf[/attachment:z6la9ggh]

[attachment=0:z6la9ggh]Pages from Chlorine Factory-Geni Model r40w small 3 of 4.pdf[/attachment:z6la9ggh]

Attachments

• Pages from Chlorine Factory-Geni Model r40w small 1 of 4.pdf
    233.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Pages from Chlorine Factory-Geni Model r40w small 2 of 4.pdf
    237.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Pages from Chlorine Factory-Geni Model r40w small 3 of 4.pdf
    274.4 KB · Views: 17
and here is the last 4 pages of the 25 page manual:

[attachment=0:3a7kzqov]Pages from Chlorine Factory-Geni Model r40w small 4 of 4.pdf[/attachment:3a7kzqov]

Attachments

• Pages from Chlorine Factory-Geni Model r40w small 4 of 4.pdf
    165.2 KB · Views: 19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Darkside of the Pool - I have an RO system under my sink by omni filter I studied them before i bought it. All of them waste water at a 4:1 ratio that run on household water pressure. The ones for 300 and up that include a Sureflow high pressure pump can get the waste down lower but all have to waste some water to carry the unwanted minerals away. without a pump an i see its designed that units RO section alone would have to waste 4 gallons for every 1 produced and need replacment filters like an other RO, filters would need to be replaced often on hard water, and very often on hard well water.
My onimi filter manual says replace the set (minus the RO membrane) when the TDS rises. New it was 15ppm today its 41ppm. I need a new set. Can't remeber on the membrane 12-24 months i think

I have a Chlorine Geni unit and I'm about to try to haul it off to the dump. It has been very erratic, and the electronics have often failed. That is, there is an amp meter that indicates when it is charging, and for reasons I'm not able to figure out, after a few weeks of working, it gives out. I'm tired of calling thy guy who installed it to fix it and he (apparently) is tired of coming to my house to fix it. It's now gotten to the point that the exterior screws have corroded so I cannot even get into the electronics on the top to try to fix it myself. The idea was to have a constant and steady input of chlorine, but since I've had it, I've had more algae blooms than with tabs in a floater. Mine is about three years old. For the last six months, I've been back to tabs.

Last time it stopped working, I tried checking the fuse, but the fuse housing was so corroded I ended up breaking it trying to open it.

Maintenance is not that simple even if the electronics were working. You must blow compressed air through the unit and add acid. And then every few years you are supposed to replace the filter and electrodes.

The theory is great. The application is a failure.

I do not mean to resurrect a dead thread but I wanted thank you all for your discussion. I am looking for a change from my pool service who isn't doing a good job with my pool. I am considering a salt water system and found the Chlorine Genie. Thanks to your discussion I feel pretty confident that this is not the way to go. But more importantly, I really appreciate the honesty of this group and the polite skepticism that your brought to pool gal's comments. There is so much misinformation and hype out there. If the internet was a pool it would be choked with algae. The first step to cleaning it up is a thoughtful, politely skeptical information "filter". Anyway after reading around I am going to buy a test kit and attempt the BBB method advocated by some here. If I can treat my pool 10000 gallon pool for $15 / month I'll save $30 / month and probably have a cleaner pool. I expect that I'll have lots of newbie questions but am confident that with the good info on this site I'll be able to do it. Anyway, thank you for being giving of your time and experience.

I can validate long time pool gals experience with Chlorine genie. I have had a new model since May 2012 and its worked as advertised - and the pH control is a nice feature. My ten year old plaster, 18x38, 25,000 gallon was built with an in-line SWG. The first one died after about 6 mos (probalby affected by calcium hardness due to new pool), covered under warranty, then I think the next one lasted 2.5 years and then probably another 2-3 year and my current one was getting due for relplacement. To keep the calcium level low I used to regularlydo a 50% drain and refill to protect the life of the SWG (Aqua-Rite T-15 or equivalent). I still have the salt water as I do not need to drain/refill at this point. I have a built in pool cover to help keep debri load down also.

I have had less trouble maintaining uniform Cl and pH and water is clear with the Chlorine Genie (while away for 3 weeks neighbor kid monitored pH and switched valve as needed). With SWG I felt I had to constatnly monitor Cl and tweak the SWG % run time as Cl level needed to be . I did have a bad cloud with "chemical block" prior to installing Chlorine Genie (I had been trying to remove stain and the product had phosphates ... and probably also had other chemical interactions ...) - but with the Genie I ran the chlorine up high to effectively do a "shock" or superchlorinate treatment - which it had the capability to pull off - I got Cl to about 9-10 ppm I think - and then ran the pump for a couple weeks, left the cover open - and finally got clear water (also did add fiber clear to help the cartridge filter) and added nothing else.
Since then chlorine has been stable (CYN is at about 50 per Leslies tester). When we had a high pool load event and got the usual light cloudyness, chlorine recovery was quick and with extra filtering clarity returned.

So far I am a happy user and have only added about 2 40lb bags of salt to the brine tank over this time. Amp meter is working fine and unit has had one "cleaning" cycle performed. I no longer have pH (adding acid weekly) and Cl anxiety that came with the SWG since it struggled to meet Cl load at times and changed significantly with water temps.
Disclosure - My wife met Dan Tucker through contact with a student and we learned about this product and decided to try it. So far its been a good experience.

My name is Daniel M Tucker I am the inventor of the Chlorine Genie I have been in the pool business for over 40 years, mostly connected to salt water generators. I don't know who "the Long time pool gal is" but I thank her for the time she has spent posting her comments about the Genie. Most of the negative statements are coming from people that really don't know much of anything about the way the Chlorine Genie works or how it is installed. For clarification:
1. The Genie is either installed on the equipment pad or by a fill line to the pool.
2. Clean water softener salt is put into the Genie brine tank usually a 40 or 50 lbs bag at a time
3. The Genie only uses House hold water that is delivered with 1/4 inch tubing (like an ice maker hook up) is delivered to the unit.
4. Chlorine gas is generated at the anode electrode and is mixed inside the unit with the by pass water from the RO unit.( no water is wasted)
5. Because of a selective membrane between the cell electrodes, the Genie make its own mild acid and base product for pool pH adjustment eliminating commercial acid and soda ash.
6. Holding a 1 to 2 ppm free chlorine reading on a 20 to 30 thousand back yard pool will require salt to be added to the unit 4 or 5 times a year. (around 25-30 dollars per yr.)
7. When the cell needs cleaning, every couple of months you can acid wash it with the simple turn of a dial on the face plate.

Thease are the basic FACTS about the Chlorine Genie. Thousands of these units have been installed, mostly in Northern California and units are now being shipped to pool people through out the United States.
One more FACT. Daniel M Tucker has now been issued from the United States Patent Office over 40 patent claims on this Technology.
In my opinion I believe the Genie is setting a new, higher and much easier method for pool water maintenance.

I am a recent owner of a salt water pool and sorry to be bias, but you also need to provide prices, i have been to your website and there are no prices, the post here go back to 2012 and i would like to hear from other members that have purchase this device. Not trying to be mean, i am just trying to get as much info as possible and the best thing about any product is by word of mouth. Thank you.

My name is Daniel M Tucker I am the inventor of the Chlorine Genie I have been in the pool business for over 40 years, mostly connected to salt water generators. I don't know who "the Long time pool gal is" but I thank her for the time she has spent posting her comments about the Genie. Most of the negative statements are coming from people that really don't know much of anything about the way the Chlorine Genie works or how it is installed. For clarification:
1. The Genie is either installed on the equipment pad or by a fill line to the pool.
2. Clean water softener salt is put into the Genie brine tank usually a 40 or 50 lbs bag at a time
3. The Genie only uses House hold water that is delivered with 1/4 inch tubing (like an ice maker hook up) is delivered to the unit.
4. Chlorine gas is generated at the anode electrode and is mixed inside the unit with the by pass water from the RO unit.( no water is wasted)
5. Because of a selective membrane between the cell electrodes, the Genie make its own mild acid and base product for pool pH adjustment eliminating commercial acid and soda ash.
6. Holding a 1 to 2 ppm free chlorine reading on a 20 to 30 thousand back yard pool will require salt to be added to the unit 4 or 5 times a year. (around 25-30 dollars per yr.)
7. When the cell needs cleaning, every couple of months you can acid wash it with the simple turn of a dial on the face plate.

Thease are the basic FACTS about the Chlorine Genie. Thousands of these units have been installed, mostly in Northern California and units are now being shipped to pool people through out the United States.
One more FACT. Daniel M Tucker has now been issued from the United States Patent Office over 40 patent claims on this Technology.
In my opinion I believe the Genie is setting a new, higher and much easier method for pool water maintenance.

Unfortunately at a price of $5,000 it would take me 100 years to even recoup the cost of the unit let alone cost of salt, replacement cells, electricity, and the retrofit. I only use about 25 gallons of chlorine a year, rarely need to adjust ph. My pinch tube pump on a timer works great to dispense the chlorine.

Were considering getting a chlorine genie because we are redoing our entire pool system: pumps, panel, heater, and filter. Being a new pool owner, it sounds good to me and the price I was quoted is $2,900.

Welcome to the forum!

Have no idea if the thing works. No active members have them so imagine they are either very expensive to operate versus a conventional SWCG or there are other issues.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.